NDP Awareness Leaflet

 

In early November of 2018, we are sending out a leaflet to let as many people as possible, who work or live in the parish, about the Neighbourhood Development Plan (NDP).

The leaflet is also being put in cafe’s, shops, pubs etc.

You can PDF version of the leaflet here.

The meeting encourages anybody who wants to know more to attend some public meetings:

  • Goonhavern Village Hall
    – Tuesday 20th November, 2018: 7:30pm
  • Perranporth Memorial Hall
    – Wednesday 21st November, 2018: 7:30pm
  • Chiverton Arms Blackwater
    – Tuesday 27th November, 2018: 7:30pm

What next?
Sign up to stay informed and (possibly let us know if you’d like to get involved).

2018-10-16 Steering Group Meeting

Perranzabuloe Neighbourhood Development  Plan

Steering Group Meeting – Minutes

Wednesday 16th October 2018

UNAPPROVED

1. Attendance and Apologies

Apologies were received from Janine Branch, Phil Moore & Andrew Bown. Eight people, including 7 from the Steering Group attended. (Listed in Appendix 1).

2. Approval of Minutes of Meeting dated dated 22nd April 2018

Proposed by Rory Jenkins (RJ), seconded by Roger Kayes and approved unanimously.

3. Matters arising

It was proposed by KC, seconded by RK that RJ set up the new NDP hotline for contacting the NDP by the general public. Its number will be 01872 463572.

Linda Boylen has requested to become actively involved with the SG. This was welcomed by the SG. Similarly, she is to become a member of the Housing Focus Group.

4. Communications update

Details of timings for the Flyer and of public meetings were confirmed. These are as follows: _

  • Design Completed mid October
  • Printing and Distribution Completed 10th November
  • Public Meetings: _
    • Goonhavern Tuesday 20th November
    • Perranporth Wednesday 21st November
    • Blackwater (Chiverton Arms) Tuesday 27th November

The remainder of the meeting was an analysis of the draft flyer as produced by Jeff Muir (Design Consultant responsible for producing the flyer and poster).

5. Reports from Focus Groups

None – see item 4.

6 Project planning

No discussion.

7 Financial matters

None arising.

8 Any other business

It was suggested that the NDP is represented at the Christmas Market. WR has booked a space with the organisers

9. Items for next meeting

The Flyer and public meetings.

9 Date of next meeting and closure

The next meeting will be decided in line with the publication of the Flyer as well as the scheduled public meetings.

The meeting finished at 9.45pm.

Appendix 1 – List of Attendees

Michael Callan (PPC Representative)

Steering Group
Chris Ashby-Zwozdiak
Kevin Havil
Rory Jenkins
Roger Kayes
Linda Boylen
Karen Colam
William Rogers

 

2018-09-19 Meeting Minutes

Perranzabuloe Neighbourhood Development  Plan

Steering Group Meeting – Minutes

Wednesday 19th September 2018

1. Attendance and Apologies

Apologies received from Phil Moore & Karen Colam,.  Ten people attended including seven members of the Steering Group (listed in Appendix 1).

RJ explained the rationale of the proposed NDP for the new attendees

2. Approval of Minutes of Meeting dated 22nd April 2018

Proposed by Rory Jenkins (RJ), seconded by Kevin Havill and approved unanimously.

3. Matters arising

RJ is to set up the new NDP hotline for contacting the NDP by the general public.

Linda Boylam has requested to become actively involved with the SG.  This was welcomed by the SG.

4. Communications update

Nick Joy has resigned his post as Communications Chairman.  Will Rogers is at present continuing the work started by him.  A ‘changeover’ meeting was held between Nick and Will on Monday 17th September.

The first flyer is expected to have its design significantly completed by Mid October, such that it can be approved by the Steering Group meeting on Tuesday 16th October.

It has been agreed to secure the services of Jeff Muir as professional designer to assist in the design, and production of the flyer.

The flyer will be distributed by early November

Public meetings will be held in Perranporth, Goonhavern, and the Blackwater area during the later part of November.

A budget of £4,000 for the flyer was approved by the SG, ie significantly more than the costing originally estimated earlier.  Costing breakdowns together with a provisional  task list,  are included in Appendix 2.

5. Reports from Focus Groups

BETI (Business, Employment Transport & Infrastructure)

The last BETI meeting was held on Wednesday 23rd May.  Kevin Havill’s report  forms  Appendix 3 of these minutes.

Environment & Heritage

No meeting has been held since 22nd May-  hence no report has been made.

Housing

RK reported that in early June he had attended a meeting with Sarah Furley and Imogen Day of Cornwall Council’s NDP team at one of their quarterly surgeries.  Among the various issues discussed, he raised the issue of whether we can get advice from Development Control Officers in our area about the potential value of policies that we would like to develop.  From Cornwall Council’s perspective it will be fine if we approach Glen Lowe who deals with a large number of applications in this area.

RK also briefly reviewed his perspective of the ongoing controversy in Crantock, following the approval given in early June to a specific housing development.   The PC interprets this decision as contrary to the NDP that had passed at referendum in May and it is currently crowd-funding a judicial review of this decision.  While we don’t know the grounds for the review, one of the issues is whether the need for Affordable Housing has already been addressed by existing planning permissions within the parish (which would mean that there is little reason for approving the application).  Dimensions of this are: one of the sites approved looks unlikely to come forward, leaving a shortfall: the NDP aims to cover the period to 2030, and more people are likely to come forward onto the Home Choice Register (housing list) during the next few years.  RK expressed his intention to pursue the issue of phasing of development over the plan period.

There followed discussion of the implications for this line of thinking for our parish: the requirement that new housing developments are permitted to provide further Affordable Homes for those on the Home Choice Register, with a preference for this parish.

CA-Z queried whether or not the use of SUDS for storm water drainage should be included within the NDP.

6. Project planning

This was dealt with in ‘Matters arising’.

7. Financial matters

None arising.

8. Any other business

It was suggested that the NDP is represented at the Christmas Market.

9. Items for next meeting

The Flyer

10. Date of next meeting and closure

The next meeting will be on Tuesday the 16th October in the Parish Council offices in Perranporth.

The meeting finished at 8.45pm.

 

2018-04-23 Steering Group Meeting Agenda

Monday 23rd April 2018 7pm
Perranzabuloe Parish Offices

Proposed Agenda

  1. Attendance and Apologies
  2. Approval of Minutes of Meeting on 7th March 2018
  3. Matters arising
  4. Communication update
  5. Reports from Focus Groups
  6. Project Planning
  7. Financial Matters
  8. Any other Business
  9. Items for next meeting
  10. Date of meetings in May & June 2018

There will be a BETI Focus Group meeting at 18h00 also in the Parish Offices proceeding the Steering Group meeting. All are welcome to attend this and the Steering Group Meeting.

2018-03-07 Steering Group Meeting Minutes

Perranzabuloe Neighbourhood Development Plan
Steering Group Meeting – 7th March 2018

Minutes

Attendance and Apologies

The Chairman, Rory Jenkins welcomed everybody to the meeting. The list of attendees is appended to these minutes. Two new members of the public (Alfred Marcus & Gary Crossley) came to the meeting.

Apologies were received from Philip Moore.
Jack Clark has resigned from the Steering Group.

Approval of Minutes of Meeting dated 8th February 2018

Proposed by Roger Kayes, seconded by Nick Joy and carried unanimously by the meeting.

Matters arising from meeting dated 8th February 2018

No Issues

Communications (Nick Joy)

New Logo acceptance.

Proposed by RJ, seconded by KH that the new logo would be used, with the strap line ‘Improving our Parish for All’ added. This was carried unanimously by the meeting.

Communications Strategy

The first draft of the Communications Strategy Document had been circulated. It was agreed that this is the first draft, and as such is a Working document. It will develop as the project proceeds. . A flow chart will be added. The timings in the document are generic.. Will Rogers is producing a project plan. This will need approving. The Communications strategy indicative timings may be amended to reflect the main timing plan.

Communications Emails

Email forwards or Imap email accounts where required are being set by RJ in the form of firstname@perranplan.com. He will confirm when all emails are in place.

Website

RJ to develop as soon as possible.
RJ will meet up with NJ over site structure and other aspects.

Next Communications actions:

NJ outlined his immediate action as follows: –

  • Talk to publishers – posters/flyers etc
  • Begin working on the first public engagement flyer with FGs
  • Call a meeting of the FG leaders to formulate a content
  • Review the logistics of distribution
    • Mail shot/Hand delivery/Combination of the two
    • Returns freepost address & Drop off points in strategic points in the community.

Estimated Communications Timings

It is expected that the 1st Engagement flyer will be distributed during April/May depending on assistance that is available.

Consultations will proceed involving everyone throughout 2018, especially the Focus groups

The main Community Survey will be programmed to be actioned during Jan/Feb 2019
It is essential to represent the NDP at all possible events throughout the Parish. Suggested events included Garden Shows, Christmas Market, Carnival etc.. The use of a bus belonging to one of the PC members may be available for use by the group.
Groups were asked to email their meeting write-ups to RJ and NJ so that these can be added to the Website

Reports from Focus Groups

Housing (Roger Kayes)

Roger Kayes apologized that he has not yet produced the discussion document prior to holding the Housing Focus Group’s first meeting. It is his intention to prepare a document outlining the possibilities in the housing area, as a basis for consulting with the community over what it wishes to see happen. Such opportunities are strongly constrained by rather complex planning regulations and practices – e.g. as seen at work in planning committee decision-making. The plan is to get the document out, by March 17th, for consultation with people more knowledgeable than him, and following that will arrange a meeting with people who have expressed an interest in this area.

There was some discussion about the government changes announced on Monday, 5th March, particularly the government’s approach to increasing housing supply through planning. The meeting discussed the draught revision to the NPPF (National Planning Policy Framework) and associated guidance, and possible implications for the NP. One issue discussed concerned the possibility that in the future it may be important to update the NDP, or parts of it to keep it current, given proposals in the draft revised NPPF.

RK reminded the meeting of the potential for the parish attracting considerable funds in the future from CIL (Community Infrastructure Levy) payments, with the parish eligible for 25% of all such payments that arise within the parish, once it has an approved NDP. It was pointed out that the key role of the neighbourhood plan could be to get the parish’s perspective on which projects it would like these funds to be spent on in the future. If the rates proposed by Cornwall Council for this area do pass unaltered into the CIL framework to be adopted in the autumn of 2018, then for a standard-sized, 100m2 new house, the parish could expect £2,500 funds to be forthcoming.

RK also reported that he is exploring with Cornwall Council the possibility for including a policy in the NP against developing additional major sites in the parish. If this is not a prospect, given the frequent advice that a NDP can’t stop development, then there is little point in raising this as a possibility in our consultation material. He reported the suggestion from a planning consultant that this might be possible if there were good evidence that this would cause ‘harm’ to the community, such as in terms of foul drainage and school places. These was discussion as to whether such issues might best be addressed through phasing provisions in any plan.

BETI (Business, Employment Transport & Infrastructure) (Kevin Havill)

The principal activity reported was the meeting with Highways England on the 8th February when they held a public consultation day event at Perranporth Memorial Hall concerning the proposed new section of the A30 to be constructed between Carland Cross and Chiverton Cross.

Philip Moore and Kevin Havill represented the BETI group and meet with the Highways England project managers and retained consultants Arup.

The existing section of the A30 between these points is planned to be ‘de–trunked’. There is provision in the project for off site works and Section106 payments to Cornwall Council for specific projects. Highways England want these projects defined very soon as their consultation period ends 12th March.

Rerouting traffic around Goonhavern and creating a cycle track from Perranporth towards Newquay were two specific items discussed in principal. It was agreed that both could potentially be projects able to benefit from the funds to be allocated.

It was agreed that further discussion should include Cornwall Council as they are Highways England’s counter party.

Guy Thomas has arranged an extraordinary Community Network Panel meeting at Perranporth Parish Council offices 18:30 to 20:30, 8th March at which Highways England will present to the Parish Council and take a Q & A session. The BETI group has been invited to attend and this replaces the previously planned meeting.

Environment & Heritage (Chris Ashby-Zwozdiak)

No formal meetings have been held since the last meeting due to adverse weather causing cancellation.

CAZ .is planning to carry out surveys for the Local Landscape Character Assessment simultaneously with the Local Village Characteristic Assessment.

CAZ requested authority to purchase the Wildlife Resource Map from ORKS (price £80 plus VAT) Proposed by RJ, seconded WR carried unanimously.

Financial Issues

A £500 grant has been awarded to the NDP by the Perranporth Garden Charities.

The Co-operative Community Group funding scheme is requesting that organisations may apply for the next tranche of funding due to start from 28th October 2018. Applications need to be made before 22nd April. 2018. WNR will progress this.

Application for Community Grants can only be made when actual future expenditure has been identified. The grant should be spent within 6 months of award. A total of £9,000 is available over the length of the project. It is suggested that some £3,000-£4,000 should aim to be applied for in April 2018.

Any Other Business

It was noted that meetings were recorded to assist in the formation of the minutes. It was proposed by RK, seconded by RJ that the recordings should be deleted after the acceptance of the minutes. This was carried unanimously.

WR should aim to produce a project plan for discussion at the next meeting of the SG

All meetings of SGs and FGs should be posted upon Facebook. (NJ/RJ to action as necessary).

A system for storage of information will be set up. The possibility of incorporating the facilities of the Perranporth Library is to be investigated.

Date of Next Meeting and Closure

The next SG meetings have been scheduled for Monday 23rd April & Tuesday 22nd May. Both will take place at the Parish offices.

The meeting closed at 21h15.


Appendix 1 – 1 List of Attendees

  • Alfred Marcus
  • Andrew Bown
  • Angela Maynard
  • Chris Ashby-Zwozdiak
  • Gary Crossley
  • Jaquie Byatt
  • Karen Colam
  • Kevin Havill
  • Maxime Young
  • Michael Callan
  • Nick Joy
  • Roger Kayes
  • Rory Jenkins
  • Simon Jeffrey
  • Susan Dutson
  • William Rogers

2018-01-31 Environment & Heritage Meeting Notes

Environment and Heritage Focus Group

Meeting Notes

Wednesday 31st January 2018, 7-9pm

Perranporth Inn

Apologies:

Jack Clark

Present:

  • Chris A-Z
  • Sue Dutson
  • Simon Jeffrey
  • Lizzi Larbalestier
  • Angela Maynard

Overview of developments so far….

 Several areas of expertise identified and all agreed that this is a huge remit. Energy to be focused into LLCA areas and plans (awaiting steering group meeting to provide clarity on zoning – wards)?

Sue, Angela and I discussed the NDP’s (Newquay, Falmouth, St Ives, Bude, Crantock) we have looked at with particular focus on St Agnes as a sister parish. Of particular interest is the St Agnes Parish Open Space Strategy which has been analysed by CC using the same methodology/criteria as Cornwall Council’s own Open Space Strategy. Simon suggested that yes, it would be in the Council’s interest if we wanted them to complete one for the whole Parish as they intend to roll it out across the entire Duchy eventually. Q: Would we need to add further areas though retrospectively eg, it seemed rather thin on farmland, and hedge/scrubland. Newquay NDP also includes ‘valued landscapes’ and protection of views and vistas?

Angela proposed that we request/conduct an ORKS /ERCCIS study for the area, which sounds brilliant, and I shared details of CC’s Environmental Growth Strategy together with the associated Biodiversity Targets document which we will also need to embed. Simon discussed and provided a hard copy of Cornwall Wildlife Trust’s ‘wildlife resource map for neighbourhood planning – thank you.

Congratulations to Lizzi and her team on Perranporth’s Plastic Free Coastline Status, and it was agreed that there are many volunteers involved who may also wish to join us with this, not to mention expertise associated with knowledge of SSSI/AONB’s, dune management re: planning, flora and fauna etc.

Assistance from Natural England and Historic England noted and welcomed. Also discussed the CC Interactive Map/Magic

Re: Heritage, I wondered if we had any conservation areas within the parish, perhaps Callestick or Bolingey? Need to investigate further.

It was mentioned that reference to, and investigation of the Town and Country Planning Act is required in addition to other planning docs in order to maintain conformity and to shape general policies without getting bogged down in detail over area specifics, and that AONB Management Plan also applies to far west of Parish.

Skate Park (Bolenna) difficulties discussed as part of CC Public Open Space observations ie) The key observations of the existing provision were that there were low levels (per person) of types 4 (children’s equipped play) and 5 (youth) provision, but that to some degree these would be compensated by the considerable beach assets. The level of types 1 (park/amenity) and 2 (natural) open space are higher in Perranporth than in most other towns, BUT the Insight report states that green space and access is low for Perranporth? Further investigation needed, hence the requirement for a more comprehensive Parish wide survey in conjunction with wildlife/ORKS mapping/LLCA’s.

Concluded with a look at language for a possible mission statement for this group or as a whole;

Enriching                              green infrastructure                      vulnerable
Enhancing                            green assets                                                Improving                            local environmental value          Opportunity                        natural capital
Investment                           biodiversity
Community                          ecosystem services
Common                               bioabundance                                Diverse                                  networks
Sustainability
Protecting

No further meeting date set, as will meet at next steering group when a clearer picture of evolving LLCA will emerge, and volunteers to train for the process are identified.

Concluded 9pm.

2018-02-06 BETI Meeting Notes

Perranporth Neighbourhood Development Plan – BETI Focus Group
Meeting Notes

6th February 2018 7-9pm
(Parish Rooms)

Attendees:

Kevin Havill (Chair), Simon Jefferies, Karen Colam (PC), Philip Moore, Mike Callan (CC Consultant), William Rogers (PC), Tanya Mocke, Richard Mocke

Apols:

Andrew Bown, Jackie Byatt

Meeting Introduction

  • Kevin Havill gave a welcome and introduction for newcomers to the meeting
  • An extract of the CPRE guidelines for developing NDP was distributed
  • Kevin proposed a draft Vision Statement for a 12 year plan for discussion

Vision Statement

  • To create an environment for a healthy, vibrant and thriving local economy serving the needs of all year round residents and visitors alike. Perranzabuloe will seek to attract and retain people and their families who can live, work and enjoy active leisure time in the locality.
  • Businesses including those within new technologies sectors will be attracted to establish and grow through the provision of new infrastructure, a local labour pool and suitable premises.

Note:

 1) Vision statement has to relate to the ‘branding and communications’ strategy.

2) It is essentially a regeneration process to create a twelve month high quality living environment to be enjoyed by all.

Objectives for Consideration

  • Engender an attractive community character for the whole Parish
  • Develop major improvements of the ‘high-scape’ / ‘town-scape’ for Perranporth
  • Create a town-scape flow with much improved way-finding and signage
  • Support initiatives to promote ‘Plastic Free Perranporth’

Aside: Perranporth is at the vanguard for ‘Plastic Free Beaches’

Aside: Most shops are owned by Lord Falmouth / Tregothnan Estates. Now very commercial in business outlook and dealings.

  • Encourage development of retail space to accommodate commercial daily needs shops
  • Encourage upstairs commercial usage of retail premises
  • Encourage regular events and markets to generate footfall (perhaps consider development of a ‘Pannier Market’ facility for all-weather events/markets)
  • Progress plans for partial pedestrianisation of main town thoroughfare / high street using traffic management (e.g. one-way schemes etc)

Aside: Reference Eddies/MC’s plan related to pedestrianisation of Perranporth

  • Improvement of footpath provision on major accesses to Perranporth
  • Improve the Perranporth ‘journey’ and include the beach frontage in this journey

Aside: Reference should be made to the land-bank owned by the Parish

  • Look to improve existing footpaths and bridleways in the Parish (e.g. Liskey Hill, New Road, Budnic Hill etc)
  • Explore the development of NEW footpaths / bridleways / Cycleways (e.g. utilise parts of the disused railway embankment to create Bolingey to Goonhavern access – and also ultimately Bolingey to Newquay access)
  • Enhance the existing 56 footpaths in the Parish (one of the richest areas in the county, reference Irene Carter)
  • Explore development of Digital Economy in the Parish
    • Actively promote Perranporth and wider Parish as ‘Digital Centre’ for integrated business and lifestyle
    • Facilitate support for existing digital business and promote new digital start-ups in Parish
    • Create an in-town Workhub / Innovation Centre (e.g. Workbox Penzance like)
    • Investigate the availability of Ultrafast broadband in the Parish
    • Investigate external funding sources to develop suitable high quality workspace and support systems (e.g. Coastal Communities Fund, Nesta, etc)
  • Development Cligga Industrial Space
    • Create new higher quality industrial units
    • Accommodate local warehousing
    • Accommodate local service organisations
  • Develop Cligga heritage, tourism potential (some of the best views in Cornwall) and leisure activities
  • Explore and help facilitate the redirection of Newquay targeted traffic from the west to utilise the proposed B30 (existing A30) to miss Goonhavern (and vice versa). This could make Goonhavern a much more coherent village through a major traffic reduction on A3075)
    • Better utilisation of B30 once new A30 dual carriage way is in place
    • HE development funding is available through their section 106 obligations.
    • Cornwall Council highways support would be needed to upgrade existing link roads (e.g. Scotland road etc).
    • This could create major benefits for the Parish from this major transport investment (present proposals have little benefit for the Parish from many perspectives)
    • Further housing development could be facilitated in Goonhavern with benefits from supporting infrastructure.
  • Develop ‘landmark building’ for Perranporth Heritage Centre on Droskyn
    • Explore development funding via A30 dualling investment
    • Exploit St Piran history
    • Exploit the Poldark phenomena
    • Exploit Mining and Nobel heritage (World Heritage Site)
  • Regenerate the ‘Rose Amphitheatre’
    • Improve up-keep, accessibility and parking
    • Promote as a key feature in the Parish
    • Utilise for local events / activities
  • Redevelop steps for beach access from Droskyn side of shoreline
  • Develop new footpath / cycleway utilising former railway embankment from Bolingey to Goonhavern, and possibly Newquay
    • Earmark land use for this purpose
    • Explore recovery of missing links of railway
    • Explore development funding via A30 dualling investment under section 106
    • Engage support of ‘Sustran’
  • Look to promote the Parish section of the SW Coast Path to benefit the Parish further
  • Explore the option of creating a ‘beach-side’ Amphitheatre

2018-02-05 notes from meeting with CC Guy Thomas

Meeting with Guy Thomas, the Communities Area Manager at Cornwall Council
Monday 5th February 2018
Rory Jenkins & William Rogers from the Perranzabuloe NDP

Given the progress that Cornwall Council has accepted that Perranzabuloe has ‘Designated Area Status’ for a NDP, that we have a Steering Group and Focus Groups, it seemed appropriate to have an update with Guy Thomas. He will be one of our primary contacts in Cornwall Council for the duration of the project.

Rory (NDP Chairperson) and William (NDP Secretary) met Guy at the Cornwall Council offices in Truro.
From having been involved with many NDP’s around Cornwall Guy had the following advice:

  1. Spread the load. If the project is taken on by too small a group, this has elsewhere lead to it stalling or collapsing.
  2. St Agnes have stood out for their level of on-going information to their community. Their almost monthly updates to the community is yielding dividends with them typically getting around 20% respondent rates to their consultations. This is apparently high.
  3. Don’t attempt community consultation in the holidays. Spring and Autumn work well.
  4. Always keep evidence of all engagement and responses. Both the quantity and the quality. Without the final NDP being backed by evidence of being the wishes of the community it won’t get through
  5. If we feel we might need external experts, ask Guy and his team first. They might have the skills we need, for free or cheaper than elsewhere. Or they might know where best to get the best skills at the best price.
  6. Immogen and her team is their expert on policy. So not only can she help with what we can and can’t influence, she will also be there to help write up the NDP so that it fits with existing planning policy.

Progressing this, Guy suggested the following 2018 time scale.

Feb / March

Engage with the community to say that work has started on a NDP. Explain what this is. Say we want everybody’s views, input, help etc.  Give contact details. (Website, Facebook, email list, notice boards). Say that from the initial group and meetings, which we hope will grow as more learn about it, the initial TOP 5 issues are ……   Ask what they think about these. Ask if what issues, if any, they would put instead of any of these issues. Have it so that responses are dropped back to drop off points at local shops, pubs etc.

Late April / May

Have the first community engagement meetings. Having these where the community naturally meet apparently works well. eg a local pub.
This would involve the first questionaire to establish top concerns.

June

Get together events.

July & August

Consolidate and analyse the responses.

September

Use the analysed responses to start a second round of questions and engagement.

In relation to the overall plan and next stages, Guy in particular mentioned the  Consultation and Engagement Toolkit and the Project Plan links which are to a PDF and an Excel template:
Project Planning – PDF
Project Plan Template – Excel (which William has already started looking at)

2018-01-09 Steering Group Meeting Minutes

A PDF copy of the 2018 01 09 minutes are here.

Attendance

The Chairman, Rory Jenkins welcomed everybody to the meeting. The list of attendees is appended to these minutes.

Apologies were received from Janine Branch, Peter Gaisford, Susan Griffiths & Karen Tregay.

A particular welcome was extended to Jaquie Byatt, whom as well as being a resident of Perranzabuloe, is also a Planning Officer within CC.  She is prepared to become a member of a Focus Group.

It was agreed that the meeting be recorded for the purposes of writing the Minutes only.

Resignations from the Steering Group were received from Robert Norrington (Communication lead) who wishes to concentrate upon the communication needs of the Parish Council, and Jenny Barton (Vice Chairman) who does not consider that presently she has sufficient time to take on the role.  It was agreed that these roles be opened to the whole of the Steering Group to apply for.  Mindful of this Rory and Nick will produce an initial job specification for the role, with the goal of electing new officers at the next SG meeting.  Nick Joy has agreed to continue as Acting Head of Communications for the meantime, until the formal appointment is made.

Approval of Minutes of Meeting dated 30th November,2017

Proposed by Andrew Bone, seconded by Chris Ashby-Zwozdiak and carried by the majority of the meeting.

Matters arising from meeting dated 30th November, 2017

Cornwall Council has accepted that Perranzabuloe has ‘Designated Area Status’ for the purpose of writing the Neighbourhood Plan. The defined area is the whole of the parish within the designated boundaries.

William Rogers will investigate sources of grant funding from CC, how to apply , and report at the next meeting.

Steering Group Terms of Reference

Roger Kayes re- tabled draft ‘Terms of References ‘  for discussion.  These have been revised to take account of the clarifications and additions requested at the Committee meeting on 30th November, namely:

  • Clarification of the role of the Parish Council in the process of plan preparation (Section 5).
  • Insertion of a sentence about voting out office holders (Section 6).
  • Adding two points about handling minor expenses and pre-agreed expenditure of less than £50 paid by petty cash (Section 8).
  • Minor changes to Dissolution procedures (Section 10).

The Revised Terms of Reference were sent out to all Steering Group members with the Minutes of Meeting of 30th November. Their adoption was agreed unanimously.

Communications Update accepted by the meeting.

Nick Joy gave a short PowerPoint presentation, showing his perspective of how the Communication Policy might progress.  His key points were:

  • The Consultation Statement should provide evidence that we engaged with the community
  • It is necessary to follow along the guidelines set out in CC documents.
  • It is necessary to consult with other Parishes that have completed their plan.
  • It is essential to plan well first to ensure all parishioners are included and nothing is missed.

The presentation is attached  to these minutes.  The communication is a paramount part of the Neighbourhood Plan, and supports all other activities.  RJ reiterated the importance of the openness of the process from the setting of meeting agendas to the actual comprehensive involvement of the parish with surveys, public displays and the final referendum on the acceptance of the final plan. Meetings should not be confined to the Parish rooms, but be held in other venues within the Parish.

The resignation of Robert from the Steering Group means that we cannot continue to refine  or use the Logo presented by him.

A simplified Logo  (shown overleaf) to promote the Neighbourhood Plan was presented and agreed by the meeting to be adopted. It was based on the ideas of, (in order of declining scale):

  • That we live in a coastal parish (blue sea)
  • That a neighbourhood development planning is about boundaries and zones
  • That at a personal level, most of us live in a building that gives us shelter from the natural elements.

Cornwall Council have produced a set of guidelines and comprehensive templates that should be followed throughout the process.  The Neighbourhood Plan must show that the extent of consultation is sufficiently comprehensive to represent the views of the whole of the parish. NJ outlined some of the main issues within the guidelines.

NJ outlined the extent, complexity and detailed nature of the Communication tasks.

SWOT Analysis

Kevin Havill presented a SWOT  (Strengths Weaknesses, Threats & Opportunities) analysis for Perranzabuloe.  This was enthusiastically discussed with various suggestions for additional items to be included. This forms appendix 1 to the minutes.

Formation of Focus Groups

RJ reminded the meeting that the Focus Groups set up by St Agnes parish were:

  • Housing
  • Environment
  • Communication
  • BETI (Business, Employment, Transport & Infrastructure)

It was agreed that we should follow the same structure with minor amendments.. Hence the initial groups to be adopted by Perranzabuloe would be-

  • Housing
  • Environment & Heritage
  • BETI

The Communication team would work in conjunction with the three FGs and as such, was not included in the list of Focus Groups.

The membership of the initial Focus Groups was agreed to be as follows, with a member of the SG taking the lead, and being responsible for reporting back to future SG meetings.  It was agreed that the coverage of individual FGs  and their changes is likely to evolve as the process proceeds.

Housing

Roger Kayes & Jacquie Byatt

Environment & Heritage

Chris Ashby-Zwozdiak (leader), Alison Wright, Susan Dutson, Angela Maynard, Jack Clark, Simon Jeffery, Lizzi  Larbalester

BETI

Kevin Havill (leader), Andrew Bown, Karen Colam, Michael Callan, Phil More, Jacquie Byatt,  Simon Jeffery.

The Focus Groups should aim to report back at the next SG meeting,

WR will clarify whether members of the PC (Michael Callan & Karen Colam) can join Focus Groups.  Michael Callan will have an ex-officio role, being both a Parish and County Councillor.

Financial Issues

Andrew Bown has agreed to continue to assist the SG with financial matters.

The cost of the production of the NP was raised. WR reported that based upon the experience of St Agnes, the whole Plan could be produced  for between £20-£30,000.  This allows for publications as part of Communications,  a small amount of professional  help, as well as a reasonable allocation of unforeseen extras.  Now that Perranzabuloe has received designated status from CC, we can apply for a grant from  ‘Locality’ .  This is a source of funding for NDP preparation, set up by Central Government.  Also, money may be available from the National Lottery as well as the Cornwall Community Foundation.  WR will report at the next meeting.

Any Other Business

Roger Kayes will provide a suggested reading list for SG members of completed, or largely complete NPs, together with a few Examiner’s reports, so that we can learn from the experience of others.  The list forms Appendix 4, and is also available on ‘Perranplan.org’

Kevin Havill has requested that the SG purchases a white board for use at meetings.  MC commented that the PC owns at least one that can be used.

Date of Next Meeting and Closure

The next SG meetings have been scheduled for Thursday 8th February, and Wednesday 7th March.  Both will take place at the Parish offices.

The meeting closed at 21h00.


Appendix 1 – Perranporth Neighbourhood Plan SWOT Analysis 8th January 2018

WEAKNESSES

  • Overstretched infrastructure & services:
  • Education, Health and Sewerage
  • Traffic – seasonal & specific points (Liskey & Budnic Hill) Lack of Parking
  • The Retail Offer
  • Urban Design
  • Lack of local energy source or gas
  • Lack of desirable and truly affordable housing
  • Lack of property for commercial/employment opportunities
  • Loss of hotel accommodation and venues
  • No Chamber of Commerce

STRENGTHS

  • The Beach
  • Tourism
  • Landscape/Environment
  • Community
  • Clean Air
  • Outdoors Sports
  • Dog Friendly
  • Many small and independent businesses
  • History/heritage
  • Cottage Industries
  • Airfield

THREATS

  • Pollution
  • Uncontrolled development
  • Loss of:
    • Community services (Library, museum..)
    • All year round retail and services
  • Drift towards 2# home or arcade/slot machine town
  • Social problems:
    • Youth
    • Vulnerable elderly
  • Climate Change causing beach erosion

OPPORTUNITIES

  • Create a modern image
  • Designate areas for appropriate housing
  • Designate protected landscape areas
  • Designate areas for new businesses
    • Clusters
    • A 30 opportunities
  • Create a stronger all year economy
  • Improve Perranporth village centre
  • Make provision for the smaller communities and co-ordinate the parish as a whole
  • Sustainable use of the beach inc “Plastic Free Coastline”
  • Enhance outdoor activities
    • Footpaths /cycle tracks

Appendix 2  – 1 List of Attendees

  • Jack Clark
  • Karen  Colam
  • Angela Maynard
  • Maxine Young
  • Alison Wright
  • Chris Ashby-Zwozdiak
  • Andrew Bone
  • Susan Dutson
  • Kevin Havill
  • Rory Jenkins
  • Nick Joy
  • Roger Kayes
  • Phil Moore
  • William Rogers
  • Michael Callan
  • Lizzi Larbalister
  • Jacquie Byatt
  • Daniel Rule
  • Simon Jeffery

Appendix 3  – Members of Steering Group as of

  • Chris Ashby-Zwozdiak
  • Nick Joy
  • Andrew Bown
  • Andrew Kent
  • Jamine Branch
  • Phil Moor
  • Susan Dutson
  • Kevin Havill
  • William Rogers
  • Philip Henwood
  • Roger Kayes
  • Rory Jenkins

Appendix 4 Suggestion of NPs and Examiner’s Reports to look at

An initial pointer….   Roger Kayes, 18 January 2018

Cornwall Council’s website gives updated information on the progress of Cornish parishes in preparing NPs:

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/environment-and-planning/planning/neighbourhood-planning/neighbourhood-planning-in-cornwall/#-tab-357841

According to this site, there are 214 parish and town councils in Cornwall; 118 are currently engaged in preparing NPs, a figure which includes the 11 that have completed the process and whose plans are now ‘made’ (that is, adopted as part of Cornwall’s ‘Development Plan’).

1          Bude-Stratton NP and Examiner’s Report

The final NP dated February 2016 (although it includes amendments following the Examination held in December 2016):

http://www.budestrattonnp.org/beta/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Bude-Stratton-Neighbourhood-Plan-with-post-examination-amendments.pdf

The Examiner’s Report is available from:

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/media/25207270/bude-stratton-ndp-appendix-1-final-report-bude-examination-report_p1.pdf

You can get a sense of part of the CC process by looking at the material that went to a Committee in 2016 via:

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/environment-and-planning/planning/neighbourhood-planning/neighbourhood-planning-in-cornwall/tab-placeholder/a-i/bude-stratton-neighbourhood-development-plan

2          Roche NP and Examiner’s Report

This CC page links to the Roche documents – the NP was ‘made’ in the summer of 2017:

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/environment-and-planning/planning/neighbourhood-planning/neighbourhood-planning-in-cornwall/tab-placeholder/n-r/roche-parish-neighbourhood-development-plan/

3          St Ives NP and Examiner’s Report

These are lengthy documents but the NP is pretty detailed and the discussion of the Primary Residence condition interesting, particularly if we want to consider this here in Perrranzabuloe:

https://stivesnplan.wordpress.com/

4          Feock NP

Feock is a much smaller and more rural parish that Perranzabuloe, but has been recommended by Jinny Clarke of St Agnes.  It has interesting detail in terms of planning policies, and I understand the NP process has benefited from the significant number of professional people with relevant experience living in the area.  They have produced a separate ‘Delivery Strategy’ and Consultation Document, both of which are well worth looking at.  Note the coverage of issues in the Delivery Strategy.

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/environment-and-planning/planning/neighbourhood-planning/neighbourhood-planning-in-cornwall/tab-placeholder/a-i/feock-neighbourhood-development-plan/

At the time of writing, the dedicated website at http://www.feockparishcouncil.co.uk/neighbourhood-plan has technical problems and is inaccessible.

5          Crantock NP

This NP went out to ‘Statutory Consultation’ in November 2017 (the 6-week period finishing in January 2018).  The plan is the ‘Proposal Document’, part way down the page.  It is particularly included here since this is a neighbouring NP.  (I haven’t looked at it in detail.)

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/environment-and-planning/planning/neighbourhood-planning/neighbourhood-planning-in-cornwall/tab-placeholder/a-i/crantock-neighbourhood-development-plan/

Close Menu
Top