2018-05-10 Parish Council & SWW Meeting Notes

Parish Council & South West Water

Meeting Notes

10th May 2018

The Parties:

South West Water (SWW) Represented by:

Perry Hobbs – Head of Strategic Investment Planning Richard Behan – Flood Risk Manager
Ian McFerlane – Customer Services and Network Manager

Perranzabuloe Parish Council

(PC) Councillor Steve Arthur Councillor Karen Colam

Councillor William Rogers

Perranzabuloe Neighbourhood Plan (NDP)

Rory Jenkins

Kevin Havill

Background:
The meeting had been arranged by William Rogers as a chance for both the PC and NDP understand more about the issues facing SWW to deliver its responsibilities for waste water collection and treatment. Whether the current infrastructure is sufficient, what improvements are necessary and whether there is capacity to collect and treat more particularly if there is to be more residential development in the parish.

All parties were aware of problems including flooding of Thywanhale Square and overloading of the pumping station on Station Road.

The PC and NDP explained that clean sea and stream water all year round is vital for safety and amenity of visitors and all year round residents alike. The local economy is largely built on tourism with the beach and water sport as the central theme. Many residents have chosen the area because of the landscape and lifestyle. Awareness to environmental issues is growing illustrated by the popular designation of the Perranporth as a plastic free zone.

Responsibilities:
SWW explained that responsibilities for the flooding management collection of foul and surface water are split between:
Environment Agency – Sea and rivers
Cornwall Council (highways) – Highways
SWW – Sewers, surface water from hardstanding within the curtilage of properties
Defra – A government regularity authority with responsibilities to monitor water and sea water quality including The Bathing Water Directive

System:
Perranporth – Surface Water and sewerage drains to the pumping station on Station Road from where it is pumped to Droskyn, then to a treatment works at Cligga and with a discharge of treated water into the sea.
Goonhavern – Has its own treatment works and the treated water discharge goes into streams.

The historic network was built in the anticipation that rain water would dilute effluent before it being run into the sea. The Clean Sweep policy introduced 18 years ago has been built on the basis that raw waste should not enter the rivers or sea but be treated first.

Problems arise primarily because water enters the SWW system from surface run off such as highways (which could be discharged into streams and rivers – for example Station Road) and from historic mine shafts and addits (for example Thywanhale Square). These extraordinary loads stretch the pumping station in Perranporth beyond its capacity and can cause outflows of untreated effluent. SWW has permits for a limited number of Combined Sewage Outflows (CSOs) at designated points and has obligations to both report incidents to the Environment Agency and monitor water quality on a continuous basis.

For new development it is now theoretically required that surface water does not flow offsite into the sewerage system thereby reducing the volumes pumped to treatment works. The historic network remains though and Cornwall Council did not take the opportunity to rectify local problems on Station Road from highway run off when the Environment Agency undertook flood management works a few years ago. In terms of new developments, these often manage to present a case that allows them to not deal with surface water onsite, but discharge it into the existing system.

Specific problems around Bolenna Park and Hendrawna Lane were discussed and SWW will investigate further.

The tankering of waste from Station Road to Droskyn over the recent winter had been as a response to the broken main between the two locations on St Georges Hill. This main has now been repaired.

Planning Process
SWW explained that are not a statutory consultee in the planning process. They are consulted but their views can be overruled. The grant of planning permission gives property owns the right to connect and SWW are obliged to provide service irrespective of whether their infrastructure is adequate.

All the respective agencies hold duty of care responsibilities and issues arising from the historic networks along the North Coast are well known. A long term Drainage and Waste Water Plan is being compiled and to cover a future 25 year period, however, this plan won’t be ready until 2022.

The PC and NDP expressed the view that a large, probably majority, proportion of residents would like to prevent further development because of inadequacies in the current infrastructure. SWW responded that in their experience using capacity problems to halt development rarely works in the long term. However they were keen to promote that the NDP include policies to tackle all drainage issues with future development targets to be linked to completed improvements.

In short the Perranporth pumping and treatment works could support future development IF there was proper separation of surface run off from household waste as could Goonhavern to a lessor extent but which benefits from an easier topography.

An example of a multi authority agreement known as Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for Llanelli was discussed. Under this agreement developers are required to make provision for the removal of storm water from the system before new foul water is introduced. This model could be on a 1:1 or possibly a 2:1 ratio basis.

Funding for improvements works could come from the following sources:
Central Government – Flooding and Coastal Defence Projects Community Infrastructure Levy – Cornwall Council

Highways – Cornwall Council

Next Steps
SWW water to provide more information of the Llanelli MOU and to investigate further problems at Bolenna and Hendrawna
SWW to revert on why the spill alert system only works during the bathing season and not year round.
PC to discuss
NDP to develop draft policies for community feedback

2018-04-23 BETI Meeting Notes

Perranporth Neighbourhood Development Plan

BETI Focus Group Meeting Notes

23rd April 2018 (Parish Rooms)

Attendees:

Kevin Havill (Chair), Philip Moore (VC), Roger Kayes, Karen Colam (PC), William Rogers (PC)

Apologies: Mike Callan (CC Consultant), Andrew Bown, Simon Jefferies, Jackie Byatt, Richard Mocke, Tanya Mocke

  • Resumé of BETI group progress so far:
    • 1. meeting had been to decide what BETI included
    • 2. meeting had developed vision and tested concepts
    • 3. meeting had been an extraordinary participation in the A30 Carland Cross to Chiverton Cross public meeting
    • 4. meeting had been to decide how issues affecting BETI interests should be communicated
  • Minutes of the previous meeting on 28th March 2018
    •  Approved and the following comments made:
    •  To obtain further co-operation from the County Council for the potential diversion of the A3075 around Goonhavern we will need to work with other parishes in the Community Network Area. Michael Callan to invite councillor Adrian Harvey and the CC Cabinet Member to a meeting
    • Agreement to Andrew Bown’s suggestion that we should seek to sponsor a cycle link / footpath to Gonhavern from Perranporth that could continue towards Truro. Sustran where discussed as a possible source for sponsorship.
    •  Jeremy Edwards Cornwall Council to be invited to a forthcoming meeting via Mike Callan
  • Communication
    • Communications email circulation lists to be improved to ensure everyone involved receives the information they should (KH to follow up with NJ and other group leads).
    • Text to be finalised for the BETI content in the NDP Information Flyer
    • Need to debate the working methods of the groups
    • BETI content drafted by Kevin Havill and then edited by the group members.
    • Post meeting : The BETI content was finalised and final version circulated by Kevin Havill to all the BETI members and SG members
    • Post meeting : KH discussed flyer with NJ and agreed that a Professional Graphic Designer needs to be commissioned to produce the Perranzabuloe NDP Information Flyer. This to be confirmed at next SG meeting

page1image1612176page1image1608640

Perranporth NDP, BETI – Meeting #5

Aside1: Settlement Boundaries relate to the boundaries of the main conurbations in the Parish

Aside2: Community Network Panel meeting – £50k per year is allocated to each Network Area by Cornwall Council for road safety issues (our Network Area includes 6 Parishes)

Next meeting Wednesday 23rd May 2018 19:00 – 21-00 at the Parish Rooms

2018-03-28 BETI Meeting Notes

Perranporth Neighbourhood Development Plan

BETI Focus Group

Meeting Notes

28th March 2018 (Parish Rooms)

Attendees:

Kevin Havill (Chair), Philip Moore, Andrew Bown, Karen Colam (PC), Mike Callan (CC Consultant), William Rogers (PC)

Apologies: Simon Jefferies, Jackie Byatt, Tanya Mocke, Richard Mocke

• Resumé of BETI group progress so far:
1. meeting had been to decide what BETI included
2. meeting had developed vision and tested concepts
3. meeting had been an extraordinary participation in the A30 Carland Cross to Chiverton Cross public meeting
4. Purpose of this meeting was to discuss how issues affecting BETI interests should be communicated

• Minutes of the previous meeting
o Approved and the following comments made:

  • To obtain further co-operation fron the County Council for the potential diversion of the A3075 around Goonhavern we will need to work with other parishes and those in the Community Network Area. Michael Callan to invite councillor Adrian Harvey and the CC Cabinet Member Geoffrey Brown to a meeting
  • Agreement to Andrew Bown’s suggestion that we should seek to sponsor a cycle link /footpath to Goonhavern from Perranporth that could continue towards Truro. Sustran where discussed as a possible source for sponsorship.
  • Jeremy Edwards Cornwall Council to be invited to the next meeting via Mike Callan

• Communication Timing

  • 1st mail shot to the general public announcing the NDP process and inviting participation – Apr/May 2018
  • Consultation – Oct/Nov/Dec 2018

o The first mailshot should go by post to all households in the parish. It is assumed that these will be addresses to “the occupier” but must seek to reach all members of the household.
o Not all companies operating in Perranzabuloe will have owners or management living in the parish. How to reach all businesses discussed:
Companies – it is possible to buy lists. Kevin Havill to discuss with Chair of Communication (Nick Joy) and ask him to obtain quotes for suitable lists.

page1image1662928page1image1663344

Perranporth NDP, BETI – Meeting #4

Organisations – William Rogers undertook to source these lists.
o Content within the first mailshot due April/May to include content inviting

participation for BETI subjects and provide details of public consultation meetings covering the following sectors and with designated members of BETI working with:

  • Perranporth centre shops and services (Michael Callan to assist)
  • Goonhavern centre shops and services (Michael Callan to assist)
  • Tourism (Karen Colam to assist)
  • Agriculture (KH to find 3# party assistance)
  • Industrial (tbc) – possible source could Cornwall Chamber of Commerce (Kim Conchie) and Federation of Small Businesses (FSB)
  • Small Enterprises (assumed these will covered by the residents mailshot)

o BETI content for 1st mail shot to explain what’s happening, what the NDP can and

can’t do, the potential benefits and ability to cut red tape in future. It should invite responses and give details of forthcoming consultation meetings. Kevin Havill to draft and the group to edit

o Consultation Sessions

  • Will require key note introduction and presentation
  • Should be held at venues other than the Parish Rooms – PerranporthMemorial Hall; Pavillion Rooms (Beach Car Park); Goonhavern Hall; Callestick Farm and Healeys visitor centre all to be considered
  • All focus groups should be represented at the consultation meetings

o Need to approach ALL significant public authorities / organisations in regard to their involvement with the Parish

Southwest Water /Electrical Supplies / British Gas(?) / BT Openreach

• Any Other Business
o Discussions over the overlap between the remit of BETI and the Housing group

within the NDP and whether they should be more closely linked in the future.
o The announcement from Government about very significant further increases in

new build housing targets for the UK including Cornwall predicted to be an additional 30% above the current target of ~52,000 for Cornwall. The increase could take the Cornwall target to nearly 70,000 new homes by 2030.

o The Community Land Trust was proposed as a possible funding source for local affordable homes in partnership with the Parish Council. This merits further investigation

o Cover for the Chair of BETI over the summer period was also discussed (KH will be in Sweden from May until early September 2018).

Next meeting Monday 23rd April 18:00 – 19:00 at the Parish Rooms

2018-03-08 BETI Meeting Notes

Perranporth Neighbourhood Development Plan

BETI Focus Group

Meeting Notes

8thMarch 2018 (Parish Rooms)

Attendees:

Kevin Havill (Chair), Simon Jefferies, Andrew Bown, Jackie Byatt , Karen Colam (PC), Mike Callan (CC Consultant), William Rogers (PC)

Apologies:

Philip Moore

  • The scheduled meeting was postponed to allow the BETI Focus Group join the Extaordinary Meeting of the St Agnes and Perranporth Community Network Panel (CNP) meet with Highways England (H E) to discuss the proposed A30 dualling project between Carland Cross and Chiverton Cross.
  • Ken Yeo chaired the meeting with councillor representatives of the CNP, Cornwall Council (C C), H E and Ove Arup
  • C C officers Guy Thomas (Localisation) and Jeremy Edwards (Highways); H E project leader Josh Hodder and representatives from Ove Arup H E’s their retained consultants presented themselves
  • Josh Hodder gave a brief presentation of the project and timetable. Explained that the consultation period is to close at 12thMarch and the importance of interested parties to register on line or in writing their comments by that cut off date.
  • H E plan to submit a planning application for the project in August 2018 with works planned to start in March 2020 and be fully completed in 2023. The overall budget is £290M
  • The existing A30 will be handed over to Cornwall Council for operation and maintenance.
  • The project includes provision for off site and ‘de-trunking’ works including that enabling access to the highway network for cyclists, walkers and horse riders.
  • The meeting was then opened to the public for Q & A
  • Kevin Havill (K H) on behalf of BETI explained that at the meeting on February 8thwith H E at the Methodists Church Hall, Perranporth two specific project and potential budget considerations had been made to Josh Hodder. Subsequently K H had been directed to liaise with Guy Thomas of Cornwall Council (C C) as they will be the counter party to H E. The same project considerations were addressed to the collective forum:
    • The potential to create a by pass for Goonhavern by utilising what will be the old A30 to take traffic from Camborne towards Newquay and vice versa. Traffic would be directed down Scotland Road and rejoin the A3075 at Cubert Cross. Consideration within the design and an allocation of funds to facilitate these works was requested. H E open to discussion but Jeremy Edwards concerned about pre-study costs of £25000 and likely costs for necessary highway improvements. K H suggested C C should consider making this a project and applying to H E for funds whilst they could.
    • The need for cycle links from Perranporth towards Newquay especially the section between Perranporth and Goonhavern. Jeremy Edwards responsed that the better funding partner likely to be Sustrans and that indeed St Agnes had made a detailed application for a cycle track and bridge at Chiverton Cross. (The implication being that works for the St Agnes project were more advanced and would be prioritised)
  • There followed a number of other questions and comments from the floor.
    • A common discussion point was the request that the junction at Chybucca should be made a full east west interchange as opposed to currently west facing only. Traffic flow figures prepare by Callestick Ice Cream Farm were diametrically different to those calculated by Ove Arup. This linked with the strong request from several membersof he public to redesign this junction. H E invited parties to submit their evidence and arguments and it appeared during the discussion that C C were prepared to reconsider a third corridor into Truro via Allett
  • Post meeting action
  • Once the Public session closed it was agreed amongst BETI members:
    • To garner support for the two Perranzabuloe NDP projects:
      • Feed back on the H E website should be given.
      • Political support be gained by working in conjunction with neighbouring C C councillor Adrian Harvey, who expressed post meeting support.
      • Political support also be gained via representation to the local MP Sarah Newton.
      • Meetings be requested with the C C officers and to be arranged via Guy Thomas.

  • H E online comment text submitted 09-03-18:

 

Response ID ANON-483E-G91K-Z

A30 Chiverton Cross to Carland Cross statutory consultation Submitted on 2018-03-09 15:04:24

6 Are you responding on behalf of an organisation?

Yes

If yes, which organisation?:

Perranzabuloe Parish Neighbourhood Development Plan – Steering Group

7 Do you have an interest in land that the proposals cross?

No

8 Can we make direct contact with you?

Yes

A30 Chiverton to Carland Cross

11 Do you have any comments on our proposals for the Chiverton junction to Chybucca section of the scheme? (A plan of the proposals in Section A can be found in the Consultation Booklet on pages 10-13).

Q11:

12 Do you have any comments on our proposals for the Chybucca junction to Zelah section of the scheme? (A plan of the proposals in Section B can be found in the Consultation Booklet on pages 14-17).

Q12:

On behalf of the Business, Employment, Transport and Infrastructure (BETI) group within the Perranzabuloe Neighbourhood Development Plan group we have the following observations:

– The Cornwall Plan allocates the need for over 25000 sq metres of B1 space in St Agnes and Perranporth CNA. We see limited opportunity to create employment land for industrial or logistical uses within near distance of the Carland Cross and Chiverton Cross intersections. We anticipate that there is more chance of creating employment land near the proposed Chybucca junction. Making a full east/west intersection at Chybucca would enable businesses reliant on heavy and or through traffic to service their needs or customers to locate there. This would also enable businesses inappropriately or poorly located elsewhere within the CNA to relocate to a more advantageous location.

– The existing businesses within short distance of the proposed Chybucca junction call for this junction to include feeder/slip roads from both the east and west. Currently it is planned to only have slip roads serving traffic coming from or to the west. This would also be a benefit for tourist and visitor traffic which is a vital part of the local economy.

– We are also keen to create a network of cycle tracks to compliment the excellent selection of footpaths we have in the locality. We ask, therefore, that consideration be made in the design and budget for the safe and easy passage of cyclists across the existing and proposed A30 trunk roads travelling from the expanding dormitory areas of Perranporth and Goonhavern towards Truro via Callestick/Marazanvose and Zelah.

– We understand that there is a budget for off site projects and those associated with the de-trunking of the existing A30. Moreover that it is a stated intention to encourage and facilitate through specific defined projects routes for cyclists/walkers/equestrian within the existing road network and new routes to complement the existing. We therefore request that design and budget provision be made to assist the creation of tracks suitable for traffic not best suited on narrow and fast lanes such as cyclists, joggers, walkers, riders from Perranporth to Newquay via Goonhavern and Perranporth to Truro via Goonhavern.

13 Do you have any comments on our proposals for the Zelah to Carland Cross junction section of the scheme? (A plan of the proposals in Section C can be found in the Consultation Booklet on pages 18-21).

Q13:

See answer to Q16

Preliminary environmental information

14 Do you have any comments on the Preliminary Environmental Information Report?

Q14:

No

Mitigation

15 Do you have any comments on the mitigation that we are proposing, or any other suggestions for mitigation?

Q15:

No

The existing A30

16 Do you have any comments on what will happen to the existing A30 after the new A30 is built? (Please note: although we won’t be doing these things as part of the new A30, we will pass any comments on to Cornwall Council).

Q16:

On behalf of the Business, Employment, Transport and Infrastructure (BETI) group within the Perranzabuloe Neighbourhood Development Plan group we have the following observations:

– With the creation of the new A30 there will we understand be an expected 70% reduction of traffic on the existing A30. This would create an opportunity to use what will be then a rather over specified road to reroute traffic from Chiverton Cross towards Newquay that currently passes through Goonhavern. This would require use of a road known locally as Scotland Road and which would require some improvement work including a bridge or improvement to the existing bridge over a dismantled railway track.

The benefits would be:
- Reduced travel time from Chiverton to Newquay
- A significantly safer traffic route including the existing intersections along the A3075
- The opportunity to create traffic calming in Goonhavern
- The reduction in pollution within residential areas
- The opportunity to create a safer traffic intersection at Cubert Cross
We request that the design work for the current A30 proposals anticipate and accommodate this altered local traffic network. Also that funds for the necessary pre studies, design and implementation works be allocated.

– We understand that there is a budget for off site projects and those associated with the de-trunking of the existing A30. Moreover that it is a stated intention to encourage and facilitate through specific defined projects routes for cyclists/walkers/equestrian within the existing road network and new routes to complement the existing. We therefore request that design and budget provision be made to assist the creation of tracks suitable for traffic not best suited on narrow and fast lanes such as cyclists, joggers, walkers, riders from Perranporth to Newquay via Goonhavern and Perranporth to Truro via Goonhavern.

Construction

17 Do you have anything you think we will need to consider as we develop our construction plans further?

Q17:

That traffic management will enable the free flow of traffic for through traffic road users during construction to prevent endless traffic jams. Also that attention is paid to the safety of users of the small road network because of the increase in traffic seeking to avoid construction hold ups.

18 Do you have any other comments on our proposals for the A30 Chiverton to Carland Cross scheme?

Q18:

No

19 How did you hear about this consultation? (Please choose all that apply)

Media articles, Leaflet through the post, Email, Word of mouth

Other (please specify)::

2018-02-06 BETI Meeting Notes

Perranporth Neighbourhood Development Plan – BETI Focus Group
Meeting Notes

6th February 2018 7-9pm
(Parish Rooms)

Attendees:

Kevin Havill (Chair), Simon Jefferies, Karen Colam (PC), Philip Moore, Mike Callan (CC Consultant), William Rogers (PC), Tanya Mocke, Richard Mocke

Apols:

Andrew Bown, Jackie Byatt

Meeting Introduction

  • Kevin Havill gave a welcome and introduction for newcomers to the meeting
  • An extract of the CPRE guidelines for developing NDP was distributed
  • Kevin proposed a draft Vision Statement for a 12 year plan for discussion

Vision Statement

  • To create an environment for a healthy, vibrant and thriving local economy serving the needs of all year round residents and visitors alike. Perranzabuloe will seek to attract and retain people and their families who can live, work and enjoy active leisure time in the locality.
  • Businesses including those within new technologies sectors will be attracted to establish and grow through the provision of new infrastructure, a local labour pool and suitable premises.

Note:

 1) Vision statement has to relate to the ‘branding and communications’ strategy.

2) It is essentially a regeneration process to create a twelve month high quality living environment to be enjoyed by all.

Objectives for Consideration

  • Engender an attractive community character for the whole Parish
  • Develop major improvements of the ‘high-scape’ / ‘town-scape’ for Perranporth
  • Create a town-scape flow with much improved way-finding and signage
  • Support initiatives to promote ‘Plastic Free Perranporth’

Aside: Perranporth is at the vanguard for ‘Plastic Free Beaches’

Aside: Most shops are owned by Lord Falmouth / Tregothnan Estates. Now very commercial in business outlook and dealings.

  • Encourage development of retail space to accommodate commercial daily needs shops
  • Encourage upstairs commercial usage of retail premises
  • Encourage regular events and markets to generate footfall (perhaps consider development of a ‘Pannier Market’ facility for all-weather events/markets)
  • Progress plans for partial pedestrianisation of main town thoroughfare / high street using traffic management (e.g. one-way schemes etc)

Aside: Reference Eddies/MC’s plan related to pedestrianisation of Perranporth

  • Improvement of footpath provision on major accesses to Perranporth
  • Improve the Perranporth ‘journey’ and include the beach frontage in this journey

Aside: Reference should be made to the land-bank owned by the Parish

  • Look to improve existing footpaths and bridleways in the Parish (e.g. Liskey Hill, New Road, Budnic Hill etc)
  • Explore the development of NEW footpaths / bridleways / Cycleways (e.g. utilise parts of the disused railway embankment to create Bolingey to Goonhavern access – and also ultimately Bolingey to Newquay access)
  • Enhance the existing 56 footpaths in the Parish (one of the richest areas in the county, reference Irene Carter)
  • Explore development of Digital Economy in the Parish
    • Actively promote Perranporth and wider Parish as ‘Digital Centre’ for integrated business and lifestyle
    • Facilitate support for existing digital business and promote new digital start-ups in Parish
    • Create an in-town Workhub / Innovation Centre (e.g. Workbox Penzance like)
    • Investigate the availability of Ultrafast broadband in the Parish
    • Investigate external funding sources to develop suitable high quality workspace and support systems (e.g. Coastal Communities Fund, Nesta, etc)
  • Development Cligga Industrial Space
    • Create new higher quality industrial units
    • Accommodate local warehousing
    • Accommodate local service organisations
  • Develop Cligga heritage, tourism potential (some of the best views in Cornwall) and leisure activities
  • Explore and help facilitate the redirection of Newquay targeted traffic from the west to utilise the proposed B30 (existing A30) to miss Goonhavern (and vice versa). This could make Goonhavern a much more coherent village through a major traffic reduction on A3075)
    • Better utilisation of B30 once new A30 dual carriage way is in place
    • HE development funding is available through their section 106 obligations.
    • Cornwall Council highways support would be needed to upgrade existing link roads (e.g. Scotland road etc).
    • This could create major benefits for the Parish from this major transport investment (present proposals have little benefit for the Parish from many perspectives)
    • Further housing development could be facilitated in Goonhavern with benefits from supporting infrastructure.
  • Develop ‘landmark building’ for Perranporth Heritage Centre on Droskyn
    • Explore development funding via A30 dualling investment
    • Exploit St Piran history
    • Exploit the Poldark phenomena
    • Exploit Mining and Nobel heritage (World Heritage Site)
  • Regenerate the ‘Rose Amphitheatre’
    • Improve up-keep, accessibility and parking
    • Promote as a key feature in the Parish
    • Utilise for local events / activities
  • Redevelop steps for beach access from Droskyn side of shoreline
  • Develop new footpath / cycleway utilising former railway embankment from Bolingey to Goonhavern, and possibly Newquay
    • Earmark land use for this purpose
    • Explore recovery of missing links of railway
    • Explore development funding via A30 dualling investment under section 106
    • Engage support of ‘Sustran’
  • Look to promote the Parish section of the SW Coast Path to benefit the Parish further
  • Explore the option of creating a ‘beach-side’ Amphitheatre

2018-01-24 BETI Meeting Notes

BETI Focus Group

Meeting Notes

24th January 2018 7-9pm

(Parish Rooms)

Attendees:

Kevin Havill (Chair), Andrew Bown, Simon Jefferies, Karen Colam (PC), Philip Moore, Mike Callan (CC Consultant), William Rogers (PC)

Advisor:

Guy Thomas (Cornwall Council)

Apols:

Jackie Byatt

Note: All discussions and considerations relate to the whole ‘Parish’ unless stated otherwise.

Reference sources: Cornwall Council Project Plan for NDP Development see:

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/environment-and-planning/planning/neighbourhood-planning/preparing-a-neighbourhood-plan

Themes for Group:

Business / Employment / Transport / Infrastructure (BETI)

It was agreed the group would review each of these themes as a starting point for subsequent discussions and planning tasks.

Business – areas to consider

  • Retail & Services (the high street and wider)
  • Industrial Estate(s)
  • Agriculture (including Farms, Horticulture, Garden Centres etc)
  • Home based businesses
  • Arts and Crafts businesses
  • Professional Services (accountants, solicitors, etc not high street based)
  • Commercial Accommodation (Hotels, Guest Houses, B&B’s, etc)
  • Tourism functions (e.g. Beach tourism, Coast Path tourism, Heritage tourism, Sports related tourism, etc)
  • Holiday homes
  • Caravan Parks / Lodges etc (probably largest sector of the business community by T/O in Parish – it includes Perran Sands, Liskey Hill, New Perran, Lake View, Oyster Bay, Monkey Tree, etc.)
  • Other?

What exists in the Parish?

Survey(s) to garner information?

Possible sources of information and advice:

  • Cornwall Chamber of Commerce – Kim Conchie
  • Federation of Small Businesses (FSB)
  • Cornwall Council (Mike Callan / CEO Kate Canally)
  • Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP)
  • LEP Cornwall Strategic Plan / LEP Smart Specialisation Themes
  • Cornwall Council – Cornwall Strategic Economic Plan
  • Companies House
  • Major land owners inc. Tregothnan / Lord Falmouth
  • Highways Agency – A30 dualling development between Carland Cross and Chiverton Cross (£350M investment, including £15 mitigation investment)

Possible areas of interest:

  • The Digital Economy (aligns to one of the LEP Smart Specialisation themes)
    • NB: Smart Specialisation themes include: Low carbon development; digital economy; agri-tech; and marine tech.
  • Innovation Hubs (Trevissome Eco-Park) and New Business Park close to new A30 or B30 (existing A30 route)
  • Workhubs (e.g. The Workbox in Penzance)
  • Scaleable businesses
  • Creating knowledge based high value jobs? (e.g. digital economy; software dev.; etc)
  • Determining which areas could be designated for business development opportunities

Possible Sources of Funding:

  • Coastal Communities Fund – National Scheme with next call due in Spring 2018

Employment – areas to consider

  • Existing skill sets
  • Skill sets needed
  • Training
  • Education
  • New employment opportunities?
  • Job types / wage structures
  • Move towards creating high value knowledge based jobs.

Possible related tasks:

  • Under 18’s survey of their employment aspirations / interests (possibly an annex to a wider more general survey).
  • Suggestion boxes throughout Parish.

Transport  – areas to consider

  • New A30 development building new dual carriage way (total investment of £350m via Highways England with associated £15m in site development fund)
  • Designated B30 following completion of the new A30
  • Perranporth Airfield (consider alignment with St Agnes Parish)
  • Car Parks owned by Cornwall Council
  • Car Parks owned by Parish
  • Car Parks privately owned
  • Provision of Park & Ride schemes (e.g. at Cligga or Goonhavern)
  • Bus services and wider provision (Community buses)
  • Other public transport
  • Cycling provision and potential improvements
  • Speed issues on public roads in the Parish
  • Footpath & Bridleway provision and potential improvements
  • Viability of a Perranporth – Newquay link (via old railway track)

Important  considerations:

  • Accessibility
  • Utilising the spacial plan (LNP is essentially about spacial planning) – what works by considering the Parish?

Infrastructure  – areas to consider

  • Shoreline protection & management / Marine Protection
  • Shoreline based businesses
  • Sewage provision and potential improvements
  • Water provision
  • Health and Wellbeing provision (Doctors surgery, Dental surgery)
  • Veterinary provision
  • Broadband provision
  • School provision (e.g. possible new site for the School)
  • Hotel provision (protecting existing provision and potentially increasing capacity and quality)
  • Retirement and Care-home provision
  • Sports related provision
  • Leisure facilities (e.g. Boating lake and Gardens, ???)
  • Surf Life Saving Club
  • Community rooms and buildings (e.g. Library, Museum, Memorial Hall, Garden Charities Rooms, Parish Rooms, etc.)

Important considerations:

  • Consider all areas of the Parish (e.g. Goonhavern)
  • Use of Parish council resources
  • Use of Cornwall Council levy (use of section 106)
  • Designation of areas for certain functions / provision
  • Possible new site for School
  • Possible new site for Health Centre
  • Possible provision of community local green energy / smart grids.
  • Potential for new commercial development (e.g. Innovation parks, business parks, Workhubs, etc.)

Important organisations / agencies:

  • Southwest Water
  • Environment Agency
  • Energy Companies (e.g. EDF, SSE, etc.)
  • BT / Openreach
  • Highways Agency
  • Waste and Recycling companies

Current sports & leisure provision in Parish

  • Beach sports (Surfing, Kite surfing, Wind Surfing, Para Gliding, Gig Rowing, Kayaking, etc.)
  • SW Coast Path
  • Beach Sea Pool
  • Surf Life Saving Club
  • Perranporth Rugby Ground
  • Football Ground
  • Cricket Ground
  • Perranporth Golf Course
  • Bowling Green
  • Perranporth Tennis Club / Courts
  • Snooker Club
  • Flying/ Gliding?
  • Sky Diving
  • Course Fishing lakes
  • Sea Fishing (shore based and in-boats)
  • Others

Aside: Beach has been owned by Parish since 1937.

 

NEXT MEETING:  19:00- 21:00 Tuesday 6th February, PC Offices

Agenda to include:

  •                 Vision statement – group work
  •                 Identification of tasks to assemble evidential database
  •                 Consideration of areas requiring external funding
  •                 Steering Committee Report
Close Menu
Top