2018-05-10 Parish Council & SWW Meeting Notes

Parish Council & South West Water

Meeting Notes

10th May 2018

The Parties:

South West Water (SWW) Represented by:

Perry Hobbs – Head of Strategic Investment Planning Richard Behan – Flood Risk Manager
Ian McFerlane – Customer Services and Network Manager

Perranzabuloe Parish Council

(PC) Councillor Steve Arthur Councillor Karen Colam

Councillor William Rogers

Perranzabuloe Neighbourhood Plan (NDP)

Rory Jenkins

Kevin Havill

Background:
The meeting had been arranged by William Rogers as a chance for both the PC and NDP understand more about the issues facing SWW to deliver its responsibilities for waste water collection and treatment. Whether the current infrastructure is sufficient, what improvements are necessary and whether there is capacity to collect and treat more particularly if there is to be more residential development in the parish.

All parties were aware of problems including flooding of Thywanhale Square and overloading of the pumping station on Station Road.

The PC and NDP explained that clean sea and stream water all year round is vital for safety and amenity of visitors and all year round residents alike. The local economy is largely built on tourism with the beach and water sport as the central theme. Many residents have chosen the area because of the landscape and lifestyle. Awareness to environmental issues is growing illustrated by the popular designation of the Perranporth as a plastic free zone.

Responsibilities:
SWW explained that responsibilities for the flooding management collection of foul and surface water are split between:
Environment Agency – Sea and rivers
Cornwall Council (highways) – Highways
SWW – Sewers, surface water from hardstanding within the curtilage of properties
Defra – A government regularity authority with responsibilities to monitor water and sea water quality including The Bathing Water Directive

System:
Perranporth – Surface Water and sewerage drains to the pumping station on Station Road from where it is pumped to Droskyn, then to a treatment works at Cligga and with a discharge of treated water into the sea.
Goonhavern – Has its own treatment works and the treated water discharge goes into streams.

The historic network was built in the anticipation that rain water would dilute effluent before it being run into the sea. The Clean Sweep policy introduced 18 years ago has been built on the basis that raw waste should not enter the rivers or sea but be treated first.

Problems arise primarily because water enters the SWW system from surface run off such as highways (which could be discharged into streams and rivers – for example Station Road) and from historic mine shafts and addits (for example Thywanhale Square). These extraordinary loads stretch the pumping station in Perranporth beyond its capacity and can cause outflows of untreated effluent. SWW has permits for a limited number of Combined Sewage Outflows (CSOs) at designated points and has obligations to both report incidents to the Environment Agency and monitor water quality on a continuous basis.

For new development it is now theoretically required that surface water does not flow offsite into the sewerage system thereby reducing the volumes pumped to treatment works. The historic network remains though and Cornwall Council did not take the opportunity to rectify local problems on Station Road from highway run off when the Environment Agency undertook flood management works a few years ago. In terms of new developments, these often manage to present a case that allows them to not deal with surface water onsite, but discharge it into the existing system.

Specific problems around Bolenna Park and Hendrawna Lane were discussed and SWW will investigate further.

The tankering of waste from Station Road to Droskyn over the recent winter had been as a response to the broken main between the two locations on St Georges Hill. This main has now been repaired.

Planning Process
SWW explained that are not a statutory consultee in the planning process. They are consulted but their views can be overruled. The grant of planning permission gives property owns the right to connect and SWW are obliged to provide service irrespective of whether their infrastructure is adequate.

All the respective agencies hold duty of care responsibilities and issues arising from the historic networks along the North Coast are well known. A long term Drainage and Waste Water Plan is being compiled and to cover a future 25 year period, however, this plan won’t be ready until 2022.

The PC and NDP expressed the view that a large, probably majority, proportion of residents would like to prevent further development because of inadequacies in the current infrastructure. SWW responded that in their experience using capacity problems to halt development rarely works in the long term. However they were keen to promote that the NDP include policies to tackle all drainage issues with future development targets to be linked to completed improvements.

In short the Perranporth pumping and treatment works could support future development IF there was proper separation of surface run off from household waste as could Goonhavern to a lessor extent but which benefits from an easier topography.

An example of a multi authority agreement known as Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for Llanelli was discussed. Under this agreement developers are required to make provision for the removal of storm water from the system before new foul water is introduced. This model could be on a 1:1 or possibly a 2:1 ratio basis.

Funding for improvements works could come from the following sources:
Central Government – Flooding and Coastal Defence Projects Community Infrastructure Levy – Cornwall Council

Highways – Cornwall Council

Next Steps
SWW water to provide more information of the Llanelli MOU and to investigate further problems at Bolenna and Hendrawna
SWW to revert on why the spill alert system only works during the bathing season and not year round.
PC to discuss
NDP to develop draft policies for community feedback

2018-05-02 Environment & Heritage Meeting Notes

Environment & Heritage Meeting Notes

Wednesday 2ndMay 2018 7.30pm

Tywarnhayle Inn

Present:

Steve Adams

Chris Ashby-Zwozdiak

Sue Dutson

Kevin Havill

Nick Joy

Roger Kayes

Angela Maynard

Chris apologised for having no fixed agenda as such, due to treading water until launch of fliers.

We had a discussion regarding the omission of specific protection for county wildlife sites from the NPPF revisions and the need to respond to the consultation, however, despite this, it was agreed that these areas remain reasonably well protected and it will take several years before any revision is embedded.

We discussed the need to utilise the CWT map, and eventually theLLCA to inform spatial planning for conservation such as linking wildlife corridors.

Discussion ensued regarding the possibility that under the NP certain areas of land could be designated with caveats for development (i.e. having stipulations that key vulnerable sites could only be developed in certain ways).

Discussed the Community orchard scheme in Newquay which is an amazing resource for the community, where the land was gifted to the people of Newquay by the Duchy. Perhaps a similar wealthy land owner could be persuaded to do something similar for Perranzabuloe? Mentioned that we have no allotments within the Parish and that community schemes such as these could form part of our wish list or could be cited as suitable development for certain areas of vulnerable land within the parish.

We all had a good look at the CWT maps and more detailed analysis is available should we require it.

Chris asked about obtaining the designation status for the grading of agricultural land.Roger said he would help with this.

Brief discussion on the formation of settlement boundaries and the criteria we would use to do so, but was agreed that it was too early in the process without having completed the LLCA to formulate any policies on this.

Discussions then turned to Communications (see Nick’s notes)

Meeting concluded at around 9.30

 

 

2018-03-28 Environment and Heritage Meeting Notes

Environment and Heritage Meeting

Meeting Notes

Wednesday 28thMarch 2018

7.30 pm at the Tywarnhayle Inn

Present: Chris Ashby-Zwozdiak, Sue Dutson, Roger Kayes, Angela Maynard

Chris and Roger fed back to the group the information discussed at the first Communications meeting with focus group leaders on 13thMarch.

Chris was keen to develop a focus group statement to explain what it is that we are aiming to achieve for publication on the first flyer due out in April or May. Much discussion ensued, and ideas/a statement will be circulated to the focus group for further scrutiny. It is imperative that a request is made for volunteers to come forward to help with the LCA within this first communication exercise.

Ideas were then floated for suitable questions to appear on the first release flyer in order to attempt to capture at least some data at this early stage. Again, these possible questions will be circulated to the focus group for further scrutiny.

A more general discussion then took place regarding what we want to achieve, what we might be able to achieve and what is likely to happen next. Concerns were expressed regarding existing planning applications at a number of locations within the Parish. Chris reported that she has approached the Goonhavern Show Committee to request a space in the marquee as an awareness and outreach opportunity for the NDP in Goonhavern (early July).

It was also mentioned that feedback/dialogue with the relevant statutory consultees (charities and NGO’s) was probably due soon.

Roger argued strongly that it would be preferable, especially given the limited resources available, if the E&H group focussed on gathering information that is most likely to be useful when it comes to deciding on policy and projects to pursue. He reported that one of the key issues in the housing area will be the definition of settlement boundaries, and he talked about his interest in carrying out a settlement edge assessment, to provide an objective basis for defining the boundaries.  Chris pointed out that that would be Stage 2 of the Local Landscape Character Assessment, as shown in Cornwall Council’s document ‘Assessing a Cornish Sense of Place: LLCA as part of a NDP.  Angela and Roger wondered whether it might be a good idea to focus resources in the first instance around the two main villages in the parish, carrying out this more detailed stage 2 there, given that the parish is very large and, particularly in the southern reaches way from the new A30, not subject to major threat.

Next Meeting arranged for Wednesday 2ndMay at the Tye – 7.30pm

Meeting concluded at 9.25pm

 

2018-01-31 Environment & Heritage Meeting Notes

Environment and Heritage Focus Group

Meeting Notes

Wednesday 31st January 2018, 7-9pm

Perranporth Inn

Apologies:

Jack Clark

Present:

  • Chris A-Z
  • Sue Dutson
  • Simon Jeffrey
  • Lizzi Larbalestier
  • Angela Maynard

Overview of developments so far….

 Several areas of expertise identified and all agreed that this is a huge remit. Energy to be focused into LLCA areas and plans (awaiting steering group meeting to provide clarity on zoning – wards)?

Sue, Angela and I discussed the NDP’s (Newquay, Falmouth, St Ives, Bude, Crantock) we have looked at with particular focus on St Agnes as a sister parish. Of particular interest is the St Agnes Parish Open Space Strategy which has been analysed by CC using the same methodology/criteria as Cornwall Council’s own Open Space Strategy. Simon suggested that yes, it would be in the Council’s interest if we wanted them to complete one for the whole Parish as they intend to roll it out across the entire Duchy eventually. Q: Would we need to add further areas though retrospectively eg, it seemed rather thin on farmland, and hedge/scrubland. Newquay NDP also includes ‘valued landscapes’ and protection of views and vistas?

Angela proposed that we request/conduct an ORKS /ERCCIS study for the area, which sounds brilliant, and I shared details of CC’s Environmental Growth Strategy together with the associated Biodiversity Targets document which we will also need to embed. Simon discussed and provided a hard copy of Cornwall Wildlife Trust’s ‘wildlife resource map for neighbourhood planning – thank you.

Congratulations to Lizzi and her team on Perranporth’s Plastic Free Coastline Status, and it was agreed that there are many volunteers involved who may also wish to join us with this, not to mention expertise associated with knowledge of SSSI/AONB’s, dune management re: planning, flora and fauna etc.

Assistance from Natural England and Historic England noted and welcomed. Also discussed the CC Interactive Map/Magic

Re: Heritage, I wondered if we had any conservation areas within the parish, perhaps Callestick or Bolingey? Need to investigate further.

It was mentioned that reference to, and investigation of the Town and Country Planning Act is required in addition to other planning docs in order to maintain conformity and to shape general policies without getting bogged down in detail over area specifics, and that AONB Management Plan also applies to far west of Parish.

Skate Park (Bolenna) difficulties discussed as part of CC Public Open Space observations ie) The key observations of the existing provision were that there were low levels (per person) of types 4 (children’s equipped play) and 5 (youth) provision, but that to some degree these would be compensated by the considerable beach assets. The level of types 1 (park/amenity) and 2 (natural) open space are higher in Perranporth than in most other towns, BUT the Insight report states that green space and access is low for Perranporth? Further investigation needed, hence the requirement for a more comprehensive Parish wide survey in conjunction with wildlife/ORKS mapping/LLCA’s.

Concluded with a look at language for a possible mission statement for this group or as a whole;

Enriching                              green infrastructure                      vulnerable
Enhancing                            green assets                                                Improving                            local environmental value          Opportunity                        natural capital
Investment                           biodiversity
Community                          ecosystem services
Common                               bioabundance                                Diverse                                  networks
Sustainability
Protecting

No further meeting date set, as will meet at next steering group when a clearer picture of evolving LLCA will emerge, and volunteers to train for the process are identified.

Concluded 9pm.

Close Menu
Top