2018-05-22 Steering Group Meeting Minutes

Perranzabuloe Neighbourhood Development  Plan

Steering Group Meeting – Minutes

Tuesday 22nd May 2018

UNAPPROVED

1          Attendance and Apologies

No Apologies received.  Fifteen people attended including twelve members of the Steering Group (listed in Appendix 1).

2          Approval of Minutes of Meeting dated 22nd April 2018

Proposed by Rory Jenkins (RJ), seconded by Will Rogers (WR), and approved unanimously.

3          Matters arising

William Rogers (WR) reported on progress on the preparation of the project plan.  Certain members have had sight of the full spreadsheet, that was considered to be too detailed.  WR will produce a summary spreadsheet (some 8-10 rows long) and present it at the next SG meeting.

WR also reported that he has requested to withdraw the application for funding from the Co-op, since it was not possible at this stage to demonstrate a watertight financial arrangement (given that no financial officer is available in the Parish Council (PCC). The Coop accepted our withdrawal, and invited us to reapply at a later stage when the next tranche for grants became available. Action-WR

The application for Community Grant funding submission has not yet been prepared, since no firm costs have been determined. There is in the order of £9000 available subject to detailed estimates.  At present the Parish Council has earmarked up to £15,000 for the NP. It was asked whether the Community Grant can be applied for retrospectively. WR will investigate.

It has been suggested by the present PPC that we could have our own bank account and cheque book, actually accounting to them. However this will be up to the new Council (elections due end May) to agree to this procedure.  Karen Colam will request that an item be inserted onto the next PPC meeting to discuss this. Action-KC

Roger Kayes (RK) has prepared the copy for the housing section for the forthcoming flier, and submitted these to NJ.

Michael Callan & Karen Collam have agreed to be co-opted onto the SG.

KC is to contact Cornwall Chamber of Commerce regarding the provision of a list of names and addresses of businesses in the parish. Action-KC

Discussion continued regarding the planning permission for the Oyster Bay development.  RK will investigate the grounds upon which 365 days per year of residence can be granted for holiday homes. Action RK

Following the question at the previous meeting regarding the advertising of holiday homes with 365 days per year residence, that  seemed to make them dwellings, RK asked whether Michael Callan could clarify the situation.  MC pointed out that these adverts concerned the recent application by the Oyster Bay company for a new site to the north of Goonhavern, heading out toward the A30 where there is a wind turbine and that this site will allow for 365 days per year occupancy.  This will not be classified as housing and there will be no affordable housing provision. Simon Jefferies suggested this was because mobile home-type developments involve only change of use of land, not development as in the construction of buildings.  The BETI focus group claim them as businesses but haven’t done any work on this as yet.

A meeting was held with South West Water, primarily with the PPC.  However the NDP was represented.

Rory summarised his perspective that SWW can cope with foul drainage from new developments, but they cannot cope with the ingress of storm water run off as well as the foul water. If quantities of storm water could be diverted away from the sewerage, it could free up capacity for new developments. Points of interest to the NDP were the Llanelli  Memorandum of Understandingwhere a new developer was obliged to provide sufficient space in the sewerage by restricting a determinable amount of storm flow from the system to free up space for the new foul drainage. It is possible that a similar provision could be included in the Perranzabuloe Neighbourhood Plan.

SWW will look at the ingress of storm water into the pumping systems as well as ways of alleviating this. Storm water control is managed by the water authorities, local authorities,  Environment Agency and DEFRA.

Flooding at Hendrena and Bolenna will be examined by SWW.  SWW will also examine the mechanisms used to advise the community upon river spillages in the winter months. Road drainage can be alleviated by regrading around manhole covers and road cross-falls to avoid  flooding.

WR will contact SWW in some 6 months time.  Action-WR

Major expense from Water Authorities needs to be included in the Management Plans and the 5 year funding requests (presently PR19).  We would need to get the work included in the PR24 (2024) funding request. Action RJ/KH

KH reported that a national list of business addresses in ‘Access’ format is available from The Cornwall Property Valuation Office. RJ can arrange for these to be transposed into Excel or equivalent format.  Names of businesses however will not be available. Action-RJ/KH

4          Communications update

Details of options of designing, printing and distributing the flyer were presented by NJ and discussed (included in Appendix 2 to these minutes).

It was agreed that the distribution of Flyers should be delayed until September/October when the holiday period has passed. Action-NJ

It was agreed to employ Jeff Muir to design and supervise the printing of the flyers.  This is based upon previous experience with other NDPs in Cornwall.  An estimated sum of £4,000 to allow for contingencies etc, should be allocated for the total cost of the first ‘mail shot” contingencies, poster campaign and public meetings. Action-NJ

 

5          Reports from Focus Groups

            BETI (Business, Employment Transport & Infrastructure)

The next BETI meeting has been scheduled for Wednesday 23rd May- i.e. one day after this meeting.  Hence there is no BETI information to be included in these minutes.

The BETI group will be headed by Philip Moore in KH’s temporary absence overseas.

            Environment & Heritage

Chris Ashby-Zwozdiak chaired a meeting on 2nd May. Minutes are included in Appendix 3.

            Housing

Roger Kayes raised the issue of Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) funds and that in the future, substantial funds could become available to the parish from this source, when the regulations are introduced in Cornwall (probably at the end of 2018). A parish that has a NDP would receive 25% of the levy of qualifying developments, mainly housing in Perranzabuloe, and this could be in the region of £10,000 per dwelling.  A parish with no NDP would receive 10% less.  RK has foreseen a role for the NDP process in surveying the parishioners as to their priorities for spending this money, but Michael Callan rejected this idea – it will be the PCC that decides how this money is spent.

RK summarised the housing completion data for the parish (albeit provisional) prior to the publication, probably in August provided by CC, showing the large number of housing completions in the last two years. This data is reproduced here in Appendix 4.

RK and Will Rogers reported on their perceptions during their visit to the St Agnes exhibition of the pre-submission version of their NDP,  as well as the enthusiasm and inspiring ideas they came away with.  It was recommended that members read the report, available at http://stagnesndp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/St-Agnes-NDP-v4-Pre-submission-version-23-4-18.pdf.   (This link will be posted on the Perranplan website).

6          Project planning

This was dealt with in ‘Matters arising’.

7           Financial matters

None arising.

8          NDP Hotline

A hot line for contact will be set up. RJ is to investigate the use of a bespoke mobile that can be managed by anybody in the steering group.  An ‘0345’ number will be assigned to this. Action-RJ

9          GDPR

RJ  assured the Meeting that under the terms of our Privacy Policy on the NDP website, it is in order to hold information solely for the progressing of the NDP.  People not wishing their information to be held should advise accordingly.

8          Any other business

Christine ZA is due to send out the Wildlife map to the SG.  She intends to undertake the Landscape Character Assessment in the autumn.

RK reported that he had taken some photos specifically for the website and passed these on to RJ, and encouraged others to do so.  In the context of St Agnes’s use of aerial photographs in their publicity material, he wondered if we should approach the person who took their shots of the five main villages in the parish, to get us similar resources.  RJ advised care in paying for that, given legal complexities. Others referred to the drone photos used in the Perranporth Community Facebook page, and that perhaps we should use those.

10          Items for next meeting

Discussion of the Flyer

11          Date of next meeting and closure

The next meeting will be on Wednesday the 13th June in the Parish Council offices in Perranporth.

The meeting finished at 9.45pm.

 

Appendix 1 – List of Attendees

Steering Group:    
Chris Ashby-Zwozdiak Karen Colam Susan Dutson
Kevin Havill Rory Jenkins Nick Joy
Roger Kayes

Janine Branch

Phil Moore

Michael Callan

William Rogers

Andrew Bown

Others:    
Simon Jeffrey Angela Maynard Maxine Young

Appendix 2 Communications update 22nd May 2018

  • Initial Flyer:
    • Meeting of FG leaders and Environmental members
    • Decisions:
      • A3 not A4 (Cost rise from £200 to £400),
      • Decided the FG information on the flyer would not get the Public’s attention. Another approach has been discussed and needs to be drafted, then offered to a Graphic Designer.
      • Space needs to be given for address and Freepost return.
      • Printer ‘can’ print addresses directly to the flyer from spreadsheet
      • Freepost is worth the cost
      • Delivery method ‘Should’ be the Post Office
      • Flyer goes out as part of a promotion campaign (posters, meetings around the parish, etc)
      • Timing is very important – Get it right!
      • Pay a Graphic Designer if it means getting it right
  • Next Communications actions:
    • Develop the flyer and get to Graphic designer.
    • Provide WR with list of items to purchase for consultations
  • Website
    • Statement: The website is looking great. Well Done Rory & Team.
    • Put SW Water meeting notes to website. Under all FG tags
  • NDP Hotline
    • a form of communication for people without internet
    • Proposed using a spare mobile phone with a PAYG SIM card for the NDP
    • It could be used just as an answering message service. Will Rogers has offered his mobile number instead of an NDP number.
    • KC and RJ said they would look into the cost of 0345 numbers and VOIT(?). These numbers can then be diverted to SG members phones or voice mail messages.
  • Costs of Flyer, including Postage – see spreadsheet appendix
    • NJpresented estimations from two printers/Graphic Designers from my working spreadsheet.
    • We need 3000 flyers for residential and 2000 for business and handouts
    • Post office costs are stamps for delivery to non-Perranporth wards and Post Office flyer drop to Perranporth (all TR6 0) homes.
    • This was the most cost effective postage solution that also satisfies the NDP guidelines for later scrutiny.
    • A Freepost address should be set up for any postal returns.
    • The Graphic Designer (Jeff Muir) estimated his costs at £500. The SG felt that this was too low and should be doubled to ensure costs are covered.
    • Prevision should also be made for Posters design and publication.
    • A budget of £4000 was proposed to be put to the PC.
    • NJ to liaisewith Jeff Muir and obtain quotations from printers
    • Community Magazine Printers in Cornwall are a Parish Council magazine printers with a good eco-friendly ethos.
    • Preferred option is Jeff Muir to design and Community Printing to print

 

Flyer Print Costs                
Company No. to print Total Cost Print A4 Print A3 Arrangement +Design +Postage Freepost
Boscawen (Quote) 2750 £356.80 £256.80   £100.00 £250.00 £1,432.20 £0.38
Boscawen (Quote) 2750 £386.80   £286.80 £100.00 £500.00 £1,432.20 £0.38
Boscawen (Estimate) 5000 £1,121.45   £521.45 £100.00 £500.00 £1,432.20 £0.38
Parish Magazine Printing 3000 £235.00 £195.00   £40.00 N/A N/A N/A
Parish Magazine Printing 6000 £430.00 £390.00   £40.00 N/A N/A N/A
Parish Magazine Printing 3000 £430.00   £390.00 £40.00 N/A N/A N/A
Parish Magazine Printing 5000 £690.00   £650.00 £40.00 N/A N/A N/A
 

 

 

 

 

 

               
            Freepost return @ 38p 2nd Class
Postage Costs   1st @ 67p 2nd @ 58p Maildrop   5% 10% 15%
Perranporth 1886 £1,263.62 £1,093.88 £500.00   £35.83 £71.67 £107.50
Goonhaven 483 £323.61 £280.14 for up to   £9.18 £18.35 £27.53
Penhallow 253 £169.51 £146.74 7000   £4.81 £9.61 £14.42
Rose 237 £158.79 £137.46 Houses   £4.50 £9.01 £13.51
  2859 1915.53 1658.22     £54.32 £108.64 £162.96
            Freepost set up cost £116.00
                 
                 
                 
Preferred Option 3000 £2,157.30   £390.00 £40.00 £500.00 £1,064.34 £162.96
Extra for hand-outs 2000 £260.00   £260.00        
    £2,417.30            

 

Appendix 3 Environment & Heritage update 22nd May 2018

 

 

Environment & Heritage Meeting Notes – Wednesday 2ndMay 2018 7.30pm at the Tywarnhayle Inn 

  • Present:
  • Steve Adams
  • Chris Ashby-Zwozdiak
  • Sue Dutson
  • KevinHavill
  • Nick Joy
  • Roger Kayes
  • Angela Maynard

 

  • Chris apologised for having no fixed agenda as such, due to treading water until launch of fliers.

 

  • We had a discussion regarding the omission of specific protection for county wildlife sites from the NPPF revisions and the need to respond to the consultation, however, despite this, it was agreed that these areas remain reasonably well protected and it will take several years before any revision is embedded.

 

  • We discussed the need to utilise the CWT map, and eventually theLLCA to inform spatial planning for conservation such as linking wildlife corridors.

 

  • Discussion ensued regarding the possibility that under the NP certain areas of land could be designated with caveats for development (i.e. having stipulations that key vulnerable sites could only be developed in certain ways).

 

  • Discussed the Community orchard scheme in Newquay which is an amazing resource for the community, where the land was gifted to the people of Newquay by the Duchy. Perhaps a similar wealthy land owner could be persuaded to do something similar for Perranzabuloe? Mentioned that we have no allotments within the Parish and that community schemes such as these could form part of our wish list or could be cited as suitable development for certain areas of vulnerable land within the parish.

 

  • We all had a good look at the CWT maps and more detailed analysis is available should we require it.

 

  • Chris asked about obtaining the designation status for the grading of agricultural land.Roger said he would help with this.

 

  • Brief discussion on the formation of settlement boundaries and the criteria we would use to do so, but was agreed that it was too early in the process without having completed the LLCA to formulate any policies on this.

 

  • Discussions then turned to Communications (see Nick’s notes)

 

  • Meeting concluded at around 9.30

 

 

 

Appendix 4    Monitoring data for housing to end March 2018

Note the data for 2017-2018 are provisional at this stage (that is, they may alter by <10).

Total Housing Completions

 

Housing Commitments at end of March 2018

 

Note this includes the 134 on Penhale Camp.

2018-04-23 Steering Group Meeting Minutes

Perranzabuloe Neighbourhood Development Plan

Steering Group Meeting – Minutes

Monday 23rdApril 2018

1          Attendance and Apologies

Apologies were received from Michael Callan, Janine Branch and Andrew Bown. Eleven people attended including nine members of the Steering Group (listed in Appendix 1), with one arriving 10 minutes late and another leaving at 8pm (in the hope of being allocated tickets to Wimbledon!).

2          Approval of Minutes of Meeting dated 7th March 2018

Proposed by Kevin Havill (KH), seconded by Nick Joy (NJ), and approved unanimously.

3          Matters arising

William Rogers (WR) reported on progress on the preparation of the project plan. NDP preparation is currently projected to finish, using his current assessments of the length of time each stage will take, at the end of 2022.  He suggested holding a meeting at his place to discuss the draft plan with a couple of interested members, possibly having a version ready for the next meeting.  Rory Jenkins (RJ) asked that he send it out for members to have a look at, and suggested if the meeting was held at the parish offices that would offer the facility to project the spreadsheet onto the wall.

WR also reported that he has submitted an application to the Co-op; he explained that the lack of a Parish Council financial officer may cause a difficulty in the Co-op given that the organisation will want to check the financial status of the backing organisation. He will report again at the next meeting.

The Application for Community Grant funding submission has not yet been prepared.

Roger Kayes (RK) apologised to the group for not having prepared the housing section for the forthcoming flier, as he intended.  He has had computer problems and is still working on it.

Chris Ashby-Zwozdiak (CAZ) told the group that she has received the Cornwall Wildlife Trust map, and sent out the digital version to most of the Steering Group.  There was discussion around confusion in the use of sg@perranplan.co.ukto mail out to the entire SG and she will shortly send it out to the remainder of the SG.

4          Communications update

Nick Joy (NJ) reported on various aspects of the updated website, created by RJ with the content added by himself.

Karen Colam suggested that it would be good idea for the Steering Group to request an agenda item for the forthcoming Parish Council AGM, so that a presentation could be given to update the council on progress of the NDP.

The meeting agreed that records of Focus Group meetings will be headed ‘Notes’ rather than ‘Minutes’, to reflect the more informal nature of those meetings.

It was agreed that Karen Colam and Michael Callan (both members of the Parish Council) will be added to the SG email ‘group’ (sg@perranplan.co.uk) despite their not actually being on the SG – as regular attendees at our meetings, it was felt important that they were kept informed with background documentation.

NJ summarised his report of the Communications meeting held on March 13th– this report has already been circulated and posted on the website.

Progress on the flyer: NJ is to arrange a meeting of Focus Group leaders to take forward the preparation of the first flyer.  The means of delivering the initial flyer was discussed at some length.  On the list of households in the parish supplied by Cornwall Council, there are 2859 addresses, without names of residents. Regarding getting hold of a list of business addresses, Karen Colam column offered to contact Kim Conchy of Cornwall Chamber of Commerce, who she thought must have a list.  KH offered to email Guy Thomas to follow up a previous question he’d submitted on this subject.  Extensive discussion followed regarding the content of the initial consultation including public meetings.  It was suggested that three could be held – to introduce the community to what the NDP is about, to gather ideas as to what they would like the NDP to do for them, and to attract new members to the team.  RK was dubious that we have enough detail to hold meetings at this early stage.  KH was of the opinion that while a certain number of items were already apparent in business and infrastructure, he was keen to go out at this early stage to gather for feedback from different business groups as to what the NDP might do for them.  NJ clarified that he thought consultation meetings should be held in the period between June and December this year.  No decisions were actually taken.

CAZ pointed out that Oyster Bay in Goonhavern is advertising homes in caravans for 365 days a year and there must be at least 100 on the site.  She wondered about the implications for the NDP of what are effectively a large number of houses, and the provision of affordable housing.  RK offer to check up on the planning approvals under which the site operates and consider the implications for housing.  WR pointed out the Perran Sands closes in winter for a period, except for two people who are on the electoral register.

Appendix 2 presents NJ’s ‘Communications update 23rdApril 2018’ summarising details of actions and progress on the website, using emails and preparation of the flyer.

5          Reports from Focus Groups

            BETI (Business, Employment Transport & Infrastructure)

Kevin Havill summarised the meeting held immediately prior to this meeting, and that the BETI input to the first flyer will be agreed upon later in the week.

            Environment & Heritage

Chris Ashby-Zwozdiak summarised the notes of the E&H meeting held on 28thMarch in the Tyewarnhayle, Perranporth, as well as the group’s input to the proposed flyer.

            Housing

RK summarised the discussion document on suggesting a ‘short-and-sharp’ approach to NDP preparation that he’d circulated only the previous day. In summary, the notion is that if the NDP focused on low-hanging fruit, with a relatively limited amount of work the team could achieve 60 to 80% of the potential gain from the NDP process. Factors to consider are: the resources were quite tight in terms of manpower, and we shouldn’t forget the NDP is likely to need to be revised within 5 years, given the prospect of review of the Local Plan and  the proposed revision to the NPPF.  Extensive discussion followed. The chairman put forward a simple approach of: let’s put out the flyer, hold some introductory meetings to increase interest among the community, and illicit ideas as to what the community wants on the NDP … then we can re-visit the idea of adopting a short-and-sharp approach in the light of how we get on there.  This was tacitly accepted by the group.

There was there was further discussion of the South West Water issue of overflow discharges into the stream in Perranporth, causing pollution on the beach. RJ pointed out that SWW used to give automatic updates on overflow discharges into the stream and thus the sea during both summer and winter. SWW then discovered that they only had to publish data for the summer and so stopped publishing discharges during the winter, when they are very frequent.  Mention was made that Surfers Against Sewage have further knowledge about this and various contacts were suggested.

6          Project planning

This was dealt with in ‘Matters arising’.

7          Financial matters

None arising.

8          Any other business

WR informed the group of the planned meeting with two director-level representatives from South West Water to be held on the 10th of May, to discuss the foul drainage problems in Perranporth.  Two representatives from the SG would be agreed in due course, as well as two to attend from the parish council.

In response to a question RJ said that he will be covering the GDPR requirements for the NDP group.

9          Items for next meeting

WR asked that any additional items for the agenda of a forthcoming meeting be emailed to him two weeks before the date of that meeting.

10       Date of next meeting and closure

The next meeting will be the 22nd of May in the Parish Council offices in Perranporth. The date of the June meeting will be decided by a Doodle Poll facilitated by RJ.

The meeting finished at 9.20pm.

 

Perranzabuloe Neighbourhood Plan

Appendix 1 – List of Attendees

Steering Group:
Chris Ashby-Zwozdiak Karen Colam Susan Dutson
Kevin Havill Rory Jenkins Nick Joy
Roger Kayes Phil Moore William Rogers
Others:
Steve Conway Beryl Nolan

 

 

Appendix 2 Communications update 23rdApril 2018

  • New Logo acceptance? With the strapline ‘Improving our Parish for All’

RJ has produced the new Logo and it can be found on the website.

Could RJ please distribute the logo to the FG leaders for use in any outside distributed documents and printed material. NJ/RJ COMPLETED by RJ

  • Website
    • RJ has developed the website and it is taking shape nicely
    • There are pages for each Focus Group including the SG
    • Minutes of meetings and documents are available to read.
    • SG meetings to be Minutes, FG Meetings to be Notes. RJ has amended current website content to reflect this.
  • Communications Emails:
    • RJ has given all SG members emails in the format name@perranplan.co.uk
    • In addition there are other emails such as SG@perranplan.co.ukfor members to quickly address all SG members along with FG addresses such as communications@perranplan.co.uk
    • Remember: These will only forward emails (sent to these addresses) to your personal account. Any replies you send will come from your ‘personal’ accounts. If any FG leaders want a dedicated email account @perranplan.co.uk to both receive ‘and’ send emails from please ask RJ.
    • It was proposed and seconded that Karen Colam and Michael Callan should be added to the sg@perranplan.co.uklist to keep up to date with SG emails. RJ has done this now.
  • Initial Flyer:
    • An initial meeting took place to discuss this first public engagement.
    • Initial ideas have been forthcoming and the flyer needs to be designed, printed and posted. It is hoped in May, but this depends on assistance.
    • WR has purchased a spreadsheet from CC, which contains all Perranzabuloe household addresses. (Note, not business addresses). In all there are 2859. NJ to forward a Spreadsheet to the FG leaders FYI. These do not contain personal data so do not have data protection problems. Done.

WR and KH were to ask the CC for a similar Business listing.

  • An equipment list was also developed for future face to face Public Engagements. To be passed to WR for funding purposes. NJ
  • There was also a long discussion on future consultations. These included:
    • Having three dedicated introduction meeting around the parish in June/July. Pub function halls was suggested. The dates could be printed on the flyer.
    • The flyer could be hand delivered in the Perranporth ward due to its density. This would save money and could include door knocking.
    • Possibly a float in the village carnivals.
  • Next Communications actions:
    • Develop the flyer and get to Graphic designer.
    • Cost postage and Freepost returns

2018-05-22 Steering Group Meeting Agenda

 

Tuesday 22nd May 2018  7pm

Perranzabuloe Parish Offices

 

Proposed Agenda

  1. Attendance and Apologies
  2. Approval of Minutes of Meeting on 22nd April, 2018
  3. Matters arising
  4. Communication update
  5. Reports from Focus Groups
  6. Project Planning
  7. Financial Matters
  8. NDP Hotline
  9. New Data Protection Law
  10. Any other Business
  11. Items for next meeting
  12. Date of meetings in June and July, 2018

 

 

2018-04-23 Steering Group Meeting Agenda

Monday 23rd April 2018 7pm
Perranzabuloe Parish Offices

Proposed Agenda

  1. Attendance and Apologies
  2. Approval of Minutes of Meeting on 7th March 2018
  3. Matters arising
  4. Communication update
  5. Reports from Focus Groups
  6. Project Planning
  7. Financial Matters
  8. Any other Business
  9. Items for next meeting
  10. Date of meetings in May & June 2018

There will be a BETI Focus Group meeting at 18h00 also in the Parish Offices proceeding the Steering Group meeting. All are welcome to attend this and the Steering Group Meeting.

2018-03-07 Steering Group Meeting Minutes

Perranzabuloe Neighbourhood Development Plan
Steering Group Meeting – 7th March 2018

Minutes

Attendance and Apologies

The Chairman, Rory Jenkins welcomed everybody to the meeting. The list of attendees is appended to these minutes. Two new members of the public (Alfred Marcus & Gary Crossley) came to the meeting.

Apologies were received from Philip Moore.
Jack Clark has resigned from the Steering Group.

Approval of Minutes of Meeting dated 8th February 2018

Proposed by Roger Kayes, seconded by Nick Joy and carried unanimously by the meeting.

Matters arising from meeting dated 8th February 2018

No Issues

Communications (Nick Joy)

New Logo acceptance.

Proposed by RJ, seconded by KH that the new logo would be used, with the strap line ‘Improving our Parish for All’ added. This was carried unanimously by the meeting.

Communications Strategy

The first draft of the Communications Strategy Document had been circulated. It was agreed that this is the first draft, and as such is a Working document. It will develop as the project proceeds. . A flow chart will be added. The timings in the document are generic.. Will Rogers is producing a project plan. This will need approving. The Communications strategy indicative timings may be amended to reflect the main timing plan.

Communications Emails

Email forwards or Imap email accounts where required are being set by RJ in the form of firstname@perranplan.com. He will confirm when all emails are in place.

Website

RJ to develop as soon as possible.
RJ will meet up with NJ over site structure and other aspects.

Next Communications actions:

NJ outlined his immediate action as follows: –

  • Talk to publishers – posters/flyers etc
  • Begin working on the first public engagement flyer with FGs
  • Call a meeting of the FG leaders to formulate a content
  • Review the logistics of distribution
    • Mail shot/Hand delivery/Combination of the two
    • Returns freepost address & Drop off points in strategic points in the community.

Estimated Communications Timings

It is expected that the 1st Engagement flyer will be distributed during April/May depending on assistance that is available.

Consultations will proceed involving everyone throughout 2018, especially the Focus groups

The main Community Survey will be programmed to be actioned during Jan/Feb 2019
It is essential to represent the NDP at all possible events throughout the Parish. Suggested events included Garden Shows, Christmas Market, Carnival etc.. The use of a bus belonging to one of the PC members may be available for use by the group.
Groups were asked to email their meeting write-ups to RJ and NJ so that these can be added to the Website

Reports from Focus Groups

Housing (Roger Kayes)

Roger Kayes apologized that he has not yet produced the discussion document prior to holding the Housing Focus Group’s first meeting. It is his intention to prepare a document outlining the possibilities in the housing area, as a basis for consulting with the community over what it wishes to see happen. Such opportunities are strongly constrained by rather complex planning regulations and practices – e.g. as seen at work in planning committee decision-making. The plan is to get the document out, by March 17th, for consultation with people more knowledgeable than him, and following that will arrange a meeting with people who have expressed an interest in this area.

There was some discussion about the government changes announced on Monday, 5th March, particularly the government’s approach to increasing housing supply through planning. The meeting discussed the draught revision to the NPPF (National Planning Policy Framework) and associated guidance, and possible implications for the NP. One issue discussed concerned the possibility that in the future it may be important to update the NDP, or parts of it to keep it current, given proposals in the draft revised NPPF.

RK reminded the meeting of the potential for the parish attracting considerable funds in the future from CIL (Community Infrastructure Levy) payments, with the parish eligible for 25% of all such payments that arise within the parish, once it has an approved NDP. It was pointed out that the key role of the neighbourhood plan could be to get the parish’s perspective on which projects it would like these funds to be spent on in the future. If the rates proposed by Cornwall Council for this area do pass unaltered into the CIL framework to be adopted in the autumn of 2018, then for a standard-sized, 100m2 new house, the parish could expect £2,500 funds to be forthcoming.

RK also reported that he is exploring with Cornwall Council the possibility for including a policy in the NP against developing additional major sites in the parish. If this is not a prospect, given the frequent advice that a NDP can’t stop development, then there is little point in raising this as a possibility in our consultation material. He reported the suggestion from a planning consultant that this might be possible if there were good evidence that this would cause ‘harm’ to the community, such as in terms of foul drainage and school places. These was discussion as to whether such issues might best be addressed through phasing provisions in any plan.

BETI (Business, Employment Transport & Infrastructure) (Kevin Havill)

The principal activity reported was the meeting with Highways England on the 8th February when they held a public consultation day event at Perranporth Memorial Hall concerning the proposed new section of the A30 to be constructed between Carland Cross and Chiverton Cross.

Philip Moore and Kevin Havill represented the BETI group and meet with the Highways England project managers and retained consultants Arup.

The existing section of the A30 between these points is planned to be ‘de–trunked’. There is provision in the project for off site works and Section106 payments to Cornwall Council for specific projects. Highways England want these projects defined very soon as their consultation period ends 12th March.

Rerouting traffic around Goonhavern and creating a cycle track from Perranporth towards Newquay were two specific items discussed in principal. It was agreed that both could potentially be projects able to benefit from the funds to be allocated.

It was agreed that further discussion should include Cornwall Council as they are Highways England’s counter party.

Guy Thomas has arranged an extraordinary Community Network Panel meeting at Perranporth Parish Council offices 18:30 to 20:30, 8th March at which Highways England will present to the Parish Council and take a Q & A session. The BETI group has been invited to attend and this replaces the previously planned meeting.

Environment & Heritage (Chris Ashby-Zwozdiak)

No formal meetings have been held since the last meeting due to adverse weather causing cancellation.

CAZ .is planning to carry out surveys for the Local Landscape Character Assessment simultaneously with the Local Village Characteristic Assessment.

CAZ requested authority to purchase the Wildlife Resource Map from ORKS (price £80 plus VAT) Proposed by RJ, seconded WR carried unanimously.

Financial Issues

A £500 grant has been awarded to the NDP by the Perranporth Garden Charities.

The Co-operative Community Group funding scheme is requesting that organisations may apply for the next tranche of funding due to start from 28th October 2018. Applications need to be made before 22nd April. 2018. WNR will progress this.

Application for Community Grants can only be made when actual future expenditure has been identified. The grant should be spent within 6 months of award. A total of £9,000 is available over the length of the project. It is suggested that some £3,000-£4,000 should aim to be applied for in April 2018.

Any Other Business

It was noted that meetings were recorded to assist in the formation of the minutes. It was proposed by RK, seconded by RJ that the recordings should be deleted after the acceptance of the minutes. This was carried unanimously.

WR should aim to produce a project plan for discussion at the next meeting of the SG

All meetings of SGs and FGs should be posted upon Facebook. (NJ/RJ to action as necessary).

A system for storage of information will be set up. The possibility of incorporating the facilities of the Perranporth Library is to be investigated.

Date of Next Meeting and Closure

The next SG meetings have been scheduled for Monday 23rd April & Tuesday 22nd May. Both will take place at the Parish offices.

The meeting closed at 21h15.


Appendix 1 – 1 List of Attendees

  • Alfred Marcus
  • Andrew Bown
  • Angela Maynard
  • Chris Ashby-Zwozdiak
  • Gary Crossley
  • Jaquie Byatt
  • Karen Colam
  • Kevin Havill
  • Maxime Young
  • Michael Callan
  • Nick Joy
  • Roger Kayes
  • Rory Jenkins
  • Simon Jeffrey
  • Susan Dutson
  • William Rogers

2018-02-08 Steering Group Meeting Minutes

Perranzabuloe Neighbourhood Development Plan
Steering Group Meeting – 8th February 2018

Minutes

1   Address by Kathryn Statham

Prior to the start of the meeting, Kath Statham (Landscape Planning Officer -Cornwall Council) gave a presentation upon ‘Local Landscape Character Assessment and Neighbourhood Planning’. A copy of the slides is attached to these minutes. Kath is prepared to offer help and training (at a cost) from the CC to enable this to be addressed in the Neighbourhood Plan. She also provided high definition large scale maps of the area. The presentation was very well received.

Post the meeting Kathryn sent us:

2          Attendance and Apologies

The Chairman, Rory Jenkins welcomed everybody to the meeting. The list of attendees is appended to these minutes.

Apologies were received from Alison Wright. New observers were Marijka Zwozdiak and Tanya Mock.

3          Approval of Minutes of Meeting dated 9th January 2018

Proposed by Rory Jenkins, seconded by Chris Ashby-Zwozdiak and carried unanimously by the meeting.

4          Matters arising from meeting dated 9th January 2018

William Rogers reported that in order to apply for grants from CC it will be necessary to progress the Neighbourhood Plan to a position that we can assess costs of assets and activities fairly accurately.

WR submitted a request to the Gardens Charities to consider providing a grant in their January 2018 allocation.

Due to the departure of Jenny Bowden, it has been necessary to appoint a new Vice Chairman. Kevin Havill offered himself for this position. There were no other nominations, or objection to Kevin. Hence he was appointed by the Steering Group.

Nick Joy’s temporary position of Communications Officer was endorsed unanimously to become a permanent position.

4a       New Issue – Report on Meeting between RJ, WR and Guy Thomas of CC

Given the progress that Cornwall Council has accepted that Perranzabuloe has ‘Designated Area Status’ for a NDP, that we should have a Steering Group and Focus Groups, it seemed appropriate to have an update with Guy Thomas. He will be one of our primary contacts in Cornwall Council for the duration of the project.

Rory (NDP Chairperson) and William (NDP Secretary) met Guy at the Cornwall Council offices in Truro.

 

Prior to the meeting, Rory wrote up the following notes that were pre-circulated by Willaim. A quick summary of these were given at the meeting.

From having been involved with many NDP’s around Cornwall Guy had the following advice:

1. Spread the load. If the project is taken on by too small a group, it can lead to it stalling or collapsing.

2. St Agnes have stood out for their level of on-going information to their community. Their almost monthly updates to the community is yielding dividends with them typically getting around 20% respondent rates to their consultations. This is apparently high.

3. Don’t attempt community consultation in the holidays. Spring and Autumn work well.

4. Always keep evidence of all engagement and responses.. Without the final NDP being backed by evidence of being the wishes of the community it won’t get accepted by CC

5. If we feel we might need external experts, ask Guy and his team first. They might have the skills we need, for free or cheaper than elsewhere. Or they might know where to get the best skills at the best price.

6. Imogen Day in his team is their expert on policy. So not only can she help with what we can and can’t influence, she will also be there to help write up the NDP so that it fits with existing planning policy.

Progressing this, Guy suggested the following 2018 time scale.

Feb / March
Engage with the community to say that work has started on a NDP. Explain what this is. Say we want everybody’s views, input, help etc.  Give contact details. (Website, Facebook, email list, notice boards). Say that from the initial group and meetings, which we hope will grow as more learn about it, It was suggested by RJ that we should identify items that cause the most concern for the Parish, and home in particularly on the top 5 subjects to examine in depth.

the initial TOP 5 issues are ……   .Ask what they think about these. Ask if what issues, if any, they would put instead of any of these issues. Have it so that responses are delivered to drop off points at local shops, pubs etc.

Late April / May
Have the first community engagement meetings. Having these where the community normally meet apparently works well. eg a local pub.
This would involve the first questionnaire to establish top concerns.

June
Attend events throughout the Parish

July & August
Consolidate and analyse the responses.

September
Use the analysed responses to start a second round of questions and engagement.

In relation to the overall plan and next stages, Guy in particular mentioned the  Consultation and Engagement Toolkit and the Project Plan links which are to a PDF and an Excel template: These can be accessed though the following hyperlinks.:-
Project Planning
Project Plan Template (which WR has already started looking at)

 

All events Should be recorded and logged, together with the extent of representation from the public.

5          Reports from Focus Groups

     Housing (Roger Kayes)

Roger Kayes started off by saying that he felt that the Housing Focus Group was adopting a different approach to that of the other focus groups – in particular, because of the constraints and opportunities generated by the planning context within which any neighbourhood plan proposals will have to be developed.

Having held a few meetings with himself (given that he is currently the only member of this Focus Group), he reported that he is preparing half a dozen briefing notes on key dimensions of this planning ‘framework’. It is intended that these briefing notes should help the Steering Group decide the key choices open to the NP process; these being the choices which could be presented to the wider community in the forthcoming consultation.

An example of this is regarding the allocation of new housing sites. The current situation is that the Cornwall Local Plan, itself adopted in November 2016, contains an allocation of 1100 houses for the local ‘Community Network Area’, an area which spans 8 parishes running from St Agnes up to Crantock. According to Cornwall Council’s monitoring, enough houses had been developed or given planning permission from the beginning of the plan period in 2010 to April 2017, to fulfil the target of dwellings to be built before the end of the period, 2030. So our NP does not have to allocate further large sites.

He briefly presented some points around CC’s policy of rural Exception Sites which are required to provide at least 50% of the capacity as ‘affordable housing’, as well as the topic of the Community Infrastructure Levy which has implications for any proposal to include a ‘Permanent Residence Condition’ for new housing developments in the parish.

Karen Collam offered to help with the work of this focus group (and immediately after the end of the meeting, Susan Dutson also volunteered to help).

 

            BETI (Business, Employment Transport & Infrastructure) (Kevin Havill)

The group has met twice since the previous Steering Group Meeting. The BETI focus group consists of seven members plus two parish councillors as participating observers. The group has a broad knowledge base and managed to reach a positive and broad consensus on the points discussed to date.

At the first meeting the group extensively explored the scope of what should be considered under the headings of Business, Employment, Transport and Infrastructure.

Together with these we also considered various potential sources of information and contact groups to support building the evidential base, and to whom we can inform of the Perranzabuloe Neighbourhood Development Plan (NDP) process with the view of gaining participation and feedback.

At the second meeting they followed Council for the Protection of Rural England (CPRE) recommendations to agree a vision statement that was felt to be applicable to BETI areas of interest and which they hoped would be in line with the ambitions of the other groups. The group then specified a reasonably comprehensive number of hard and soft objectives which can be taken to the community as the starting point for discussion and debate.

Meeting Notes were made and circulated. These recorded those present and issues discussed.

The agreed Vision Statement was:

To create an environment for a healthy, vibrant and thriving local economy serving the needs of all year round residents and visitors alike.  Perranzabuloe will seek to attract and retain people and their families who can live, work and enjoy active leisure time in the locality.

Businesses including those within new technologies sectors would be attracted to establish and enlarge due to the provision of new infrastructure, a local labour pool and suitable premises.

            Environment & Heritage (Chris Ashby-Zwozdiak)

Several areas of expertise were identified and all agreed that this is a huge remit. Energy is to be focused into Local Landscape Character Assessment LLCA areas and plans.   The group is awaiting the next steering group meeting to provide clarity on zoning.

The group discussed the NDPs from Newquay, Falmouth, St Ives, Bude, and Crantock. They have looked with particular focus on St Agnes as the sister parish. Of particular interest was the St Agnes Parish Open Space Strategy which has been analysed by CC using the same methodology/criteria as Cornwall Council’s own Open Space Strategy. It was suggested that it would be in the Council’s interest if this NDP completed the Open Space Strategy (OSS) for the whole Parish as they intend eventually to roll it out across the entire Duchy. It was queried as to whether it would be necessary to add further areas though retrospectively. It seemed rather thin on farmland, and hedge/scrubland. Newquay NDP also includes ‘valued landscapes’ and protection of views and vistas.

It was proposed that an Online Recording Kernow & Scilly (ORKS), via the Environmental Records Centre for Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly (ERCCIS) study be conducted for the area. Details of CC’s Environmental Growth Strategy together with the associated Biodiversity were discussed. The Biodiversity Targets document which accompanies will also need to be embedded. Cornwall Wildlife Trust’s ‘wildlife resource map for neighbourhood planning was also examined.

Lizzi Larbalestier and her team on Perranporth’s Plastic Free Coastline Status were congratulated. It was agreed that there are many volunteers involved who may also wish to join the group with this, not to mention expertise associated with knowledge of Sites of Special Scientific Interest/ Areas Outstanding Natural Beauty SSSI/AONB’s, dune management re: planning, flora and fauna etc..

Assistance from Natural England and Historic England was noted and welcomed. The CC Interactive Map/Magic was discussed

The extent of conservation areas within the parish, (perhaps Callestick or Bolingey), need to be investigated further.

It was mentioned that reference to, and investigation of, the Town and Country Planning Act is required in addition to other planning documents. This is in order to maintain conformity and to shape general policies without getting bogged down in detail over area specifics. The AONB Management Plan also applies to far west of the Parish.

Skate Park (Bolenna) difficulties were discussed as part of CC Public Open Space observations. The key observations of the existing provision were that there were low levels (per person) of types 4 (children’s equipped play) and 5 (youth) provision, However to some degree these would be compensated by the considerable beach assets. The level of types 1 (park/amenity) and 2 (natural open space) are higher in Perranporth than in most other towns, BUT the Insight report states that green space and access is low for Perranporth. Further investigation is needed, hence also the requirement for a more comprehensive Parish wide survey in conjunction with wildlife/ORKS mapping/LLCA’s.

The group concluded with a look at language for a possible mission statement for this group or as a whole.

No further meeting date was set, as the FG will meet at next steering group when a clearer picture of evolving LLCA will emerge, and the volunteers to train for the process are identified.

6          Communications

New Logo acceptance.

 

It was agreed that the new logo would be used, and that a strap line should be added. NJ will send suggestions of appropriate strap lines. The SG will decide upon the final wording.

Action NJ/RJ/SG 7 March

            Communications Strategy

NJ will write the NDPs Communication Strategy document. This will define how the group will engage with all parties throughout the process to ensure transparency and inclusion. It will define how communication flows between organisations like Focus Groups to public, etc., how to provide evidence of meetings and consultations, as well as responsibilities. A draft will be sent to SG in by end of February to be approved at next March SG meeting. Focus Group leaders will be asked to approve the draft.

            Emails:

All SG members are to have an email account like nick@perranplan.com

In addition, Officers and focus group leaders may have specific like housing.focus@perranplan.com, business. focus@, Chairman@ etc. .These can be accounts to use or forward to private accounts.

NJ/SG 7 March

 

 

            Estimated Communications Timings

It is expected that the 1st Engagement flyer will be distributed during April/May depending on assistance that is available.

 

Consultations by involving everyone, especially the Focus groups – throughout 2018

The main Community Survey will be programmed to be actioned during Jan/Feb 2019

It is essential to represent the NDP at all possible events throughout the Parish.

Groups were asked to email their meeting write ups to Rory and Nick so that these can be added to the Website

 

7          Financial Issues

An application has been made to the Perranporth Garden Charities for funding.

8         Any Other Business

None

9          Date of Next Meeting and Closure

The next SG meetings have been scheduled for Wednesday 7th March and Monday 23rd April. Both will take place at the Parish offices.

The meeting closed at 21h15.


 

 

Perranzabuloe Neighbourhood Plan

 

Appendix 1 – 1 List of Attendees

Jack Clark                                      Karen Colam                            Angela Maynard

Janine Branch                               Chris Ashby-Zwozdiak            William Rogers

Andrew Bone                                Susan Dutson                           Kevin Havill

Rory Jenkins                                  Nick Joy                                    Roger Kayes

Michael Callan                                Marijka Zwozdiak                      Tanya Mocke

Kathryn Statham (CC)

 

 

Appendix 2 – Members of Steering Group as of

8th February 2018

Chris Ashby-Zwozdiak                 Nick Joy                                    Andrew Bown

Andrew Kent                                 Jamine Branch                          Phil Moor

Susan Dutson                                Kevin Havill                               William Rogers

Philip Henwood                              Roger Kayes                             Rory Jenkins

 

 

 

2018-04-23 Steering Group Meetings Agenda

Parish Council Offices 7pm-9pm

All welcome

Proposed Agenda:

  1. Attendance and Apologies
  2. Approval of Minutes of Meeting on 7th March 2018
  3. Matters arising
  4. Communication update
  5. Reports from Focus Groups
  6. Project Planning
  7. Financial Matters
  8. Any other Business
  9. Items for next meeting
  10. Date of meetings in May & June 2018

There will be a BETI Focus Group meeting at 18h00 also in the Parish Offices preceeding the Steering Group meeting.  All are welcome to attend.

2018-03-07 Steering Group Meeting Agenda

Perranzabuloe Neighbourhood Development Plan

Steering Committee Meeting
Wednesday 7th March 20187pm Perranzabuloe Parish Offices

Proposed Agenda:

  1. Attendance and Apologies
  2. Approval of Minutes of Meeting on 8th Feb 2018
  3. Matters arising
  4. Communication update
    • Approval of Logo Strap Line
    • Approval of published Communication Plan
  5. Reports from Focus Groups
  6. Financial Matters
  7. Any other Business
  8. Items for next meeting
  9. Date of meetings in April & May 2018

2018-02-08 Steering Group Meeting Agenda

Thurs 8th Feb 2018 – 7pm

Perranzabuloe Parish Offices

Proposed Agenda:

  1. Address by Kathryn Statham (CC) Local Landscape Character Assessment and Neighbourhood Planning
  2. Attendance and Apologies
  3. Approval of Minutes of Meeting on 9th Jan 2018
  4. Matters arising
  5. Reports from Focus groups
  6. Communication update
  7. Financial Matters
  8. Any other Business
  9. Items for next meeting
  10. Date of meetings in March and April,2018
Close Menu
Top