Latest News

2019-01-17 BETI Meeting Minutes – Meeting #7

Perranporth Neighbourhood Development Plan – BETI Focus Group

Notes: 17th January 2019  (Parish Rooms)

Attendees:

Kevin Havill – Chair (KH)), Philip Moore – Vice Chair (PRM), Mike Callan – (CC Consultant (MC), Andrew Bown (AB),  Karen Colam – Parish Council Rep (KC) Roger Kayes (RK), Clive Stevens, Gail Hammond, Paul Hammond, Richard Page, Sharon Hewitt, Jim Hewitt, Richard Eves, Colin Brewer, Mark Trevethen

Apologies: ,William Rogers – Parish Council Rep (WR), Keith Everest

  1. Introduction
    • Welcome address by KH.
    • All attendees gave a brief introduction of themselves.
    • Brief explanation made of the NDP position in planning policy hierarchy and the various steps involved to getting to an adopted plan.
    • Q’s and A’s as to relevance and effectiveness of an NDP. Relative merits and weaknesses discussed and MC confirmed that the NDP will be a very useful tool by which he and other Cornwall Councillors could represent Perranzabuloe’s best interests.
  • KH suggested attendees gain familiarity with the perranplan.co.uk website and review past meeting minutes.

 

  1. Previous Minutes
  • Minutes of the previous meeting on16th May 2018 – Approved
  • Explanation of slow progress since of the last meeting explained as the need for Steering Group to finalise and distribute flyers to each household (September) and then hold public meetings (November/December)
  • Sincerely hoped that faster progress will be made during 2019!
  • Meeting with Sarah Furley, Cornwall Council in December 2018 explained. Following this meeting Sarah undertook to review and comment on BETI issues supplied by KH for discussion purposes and their relevance to the NDP. A copy of her reply is attached to these minutes (Annex 1).

 

  1. Current Tasks
  • By mid February we need to identify the issues from which to draft policies and objectives. For example:

 

  • Business/Employment
    • Crate and support all year round employment
    • Support retail and services in Perranporth Village
    • Designate areas for new employment premises
    • Support and control of tourism

 

  • Transport
    • Cycle tracks and footpath network
    • Park ‘n’ Ride for Perranporth
    • Designation of land for bypass for Goonhavern

 

  • Infrastructure
    • Policies controlling development without improvements to the SWW drainage system +/or health and welfare & possibly education (MC liaising with local action group)

 

  • By mid March we need to have drafted questions to be included in the questionnaire to be sent to all households in the parish.
    • The purpose of this questionnaire will be to assess support for draft policies and to garner evidence for the creation of others
  • Show of hands as to who present would be prepared to work on these tasks
    • Majority supportive

 

  1. Working Methods

 

  • Agreed to look at other Cornish NDP’s to draw on the experience of others
  • RK asked to provide links to relevant NDP’s

(Aside these have been received from Roger and are also attached as an annex to these notes, Annex 2)

  • AGREED THAT ALL WILL CONSIDER THE PASSAGES THAT RELATE TO BETI ISSUES IN THESE NDPs AND COME TO THE NEXT MEETING WITH AN IDEA OF WHICH POLICIES THEY WOULD LIKE TO SEE IN THE PERRANZABULOE NDP
  • Suggested by CK that we contact other NDP groups to benefit from their experience- agreed KH to initiate.
  • The idea of creating sub groups at this stage not supported at this stage
  • Agreed to hold regular, ie fortnightly or three weekly meetings to get these tasks completed.

 

Next meeting: TBC 19:00 – 21-00 at the Parish Rooms, 23rdJanuary 2019

 

 

ANNEX 1

Topics raised with Sarah Furley, Group Leader, Neighbourhood Plans, Cornwall Council

Topics raised in black font.  S.F. replies in blue.

 

BETI Summary list of issues    19.12.18
1.      Improvements to Perranporth centre

o       Design Standards for shop fronts, signage, pedestrian and mobility access, landscaping

You could have a character statement for the town centre, emphasising the positive elements that you wish to reinforce and require new development to demonstrate how it responds to that. Some of the elements listed will not require planning permission.

Here is a simple (ish!) government guide to Advertisement Control  which tells you when signs and adverts require consent.

o       Use of upper parts above shops with emphasis to create either employment space or permanent residential use rather than holiday lets
The creation of 1 or 2 residential units above a shop is permitted development – so planning permission is not required to do this and you therefore don’t have control over how that property is used.

It is also permitted development for use for up to 2 years of any A1 (retail) property to be used as any use falling within Class A1 (shops), Class A2 (financial and professional services), Class A3 (restaurants and cafes) or Class B1 (business) of that Schedule, for a single continuous period of up to 2 years.

So I’m not sure you can have  a policy to encourage this – you might have a statement in your vision for the town centre to show that you wish to encourage this use, but if something doesn’t need planning permission you can’t have a policy for it. You can have a policy to retain commercial uses on the ground floor of the town centre – define your main commercial area and resist changes of use away from commercial on the ground floor (see also Policy 4 of the Cornwall Local Plan.)

o       Requirements for rear servicing of new retail space
If you are allocating a site you could masterplan and require this. As a general policy, it may not always be the right solution. If this is about Perranporth main street, it could be a criteria in a general policy about retail in the town centre, but should be caveated ( eg  it should be provided ‘where possible’)

o       Traffic and parking improvements –  one way flow and improved hard & soft landscaping This can’t be achieved through planning policy. Your NDP might include a vision for the town centre and identify projects for traffic flow, on street parking and landscaping improvements. Discuss these with the Highways Network Manager, Adrian Drake adrian.drake@cormacltd.co.uk  and prioritise these projects for CIL spend.

o       Regulation of Use Classes Order to restrict arcades, betting shops, loan sharks, seasonal trades NDP can’t prevent changes of use which are permitted development – check here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/596/made(or this is a simpler guide: https://www.knightfrank.co.uk/use-class-orders#A) But could resist change of use where permission isrequired , for example from A1 shop to A5 hot food takeaway.

o       Regulation of new food premises with off site consumption being banned from using plastic (Perranporth is a plastic free community) Agree – but this is a project – can’t be controlled by a planning policy. The NDP could resist the proliferation of hot food takeaways if this is an issue, by protecting and retaining retail use.

  1. All year round economy

o       Enlargement of non tourist related employment base – presumption in favour

Policy to safeguard existing employment space and supporting new business development (where? Within or adjacent to settlements?) Do you have a clear idea of what business needs are?

o       (AirB&B regulation?  Currently most residential property used for all year round holiday letting are classified as businesses and do not pay business rates, block accommodation that could free up the housing list and help fuel capital value increases. Permanent homes also used for AirB&B could be seen as different. – Obviously we need to test views but what precedents are there?)
There’s a limit to what you can do through planning, especially in existing housing stock. Currently Air B&B is not regulated. We are aware of the pressures that coastal communities face, but in terms of planning powers, you can only place conditions on new properties. So your NDP can place a principal residence condition on new properties, prioritise affordable housing, which is restricted to local occupancy, or locate development in areas that are less likely to appeal as holiday lets. But you can’t control this market using planning powers – licensing and changes to tax regime are more effective.

Guide Note: principal residence policies

  1. New employment space

o       Promotion of new business spaces at Chiverton, Callestick, Goonhavern and Perranporth. Including designation of sites for new technology hub and other A3, B1 & B8.  This answers my question above! Have you got market info to support this?

  1. Highways and Traffic Management

o       Park and Ride parking to alleviate summer traffic jams

NDP could allocate a site for this – but would need a partner to operate the transport.

o       Traffic calming – including introduction of 20 mph areas
A project – issue to discuss with Highways Network Manager.

o       Cycle lanes on existing roads
A project – issue to discuss with Highways Network Manager and Sustrans (see below)

o       Designation of land for Goonhavern bypass
Could safeguard a route – has this been discussed with strategic transport team?

  1. Footpaths, cycle tracks

o       Safe access to and from bus stops including pavements and ramps – minimum design standards
If you are allocating a development site you can specify that a pavement be provided to link to the nearest bus stop – but otherwise an NDP doesn’t have the power to create pavements. You might use access to bus tops as a criteria in site selection.

o       Designated routes for foot and cycle connection from Perranporth to Goonhavern and beyond to Newquay and Truro
use the mapping to understand your PRoW network. Locate development to link into this. Consider creating some permissive paths Permissive paths to link up routes. Speak to Sustrans Area Manager, Simon Murray simon.murray@cornwall.gov.uk  or01872 224415 and see technical information note.Sustrans Walking and Cycling Network Guide

  1. Infrastructure

o       SWW MOU to be pursued. New development to follow similar requirements for drainage anyway
Both William Rogers and I are chasing our contact at SWW!

o       Land reserved for community uses including education and healthcare following further expansion of either Perranporth or Goonhavern

Need to liaise with Paul Renowden, the Education Capital Strategy Officer, to see what the plans are for your area: paul.renowden@cornwall.gov.ukor01872 323921 and agree with landowners.

o       Inclusion of Coastal Change Management Issues in the NDP to plan for long term effects of rising sea levels and climate change.  [Added by Roger: we understand that we should contact Dave Watkins, the CC officer responsible for the Shoreline Management Plan, who happens to live in Perranporth.  Other lead contacts?]
Environment Agency – Shaun Pritchard. CC planning is working to coordinate an agreed approach between Dave Watkins and the EA. We have some draft guidance and policies which are still being developed but you’ll be able to adapt these and we’ll supply them as soon as we can get consensus from the various parties.

  1. Tourist development

o       Temporary use of designated space(s) for events
What are you trying to achieve here? Do you want to promote areas where this would be supported? Some temporary uses (up to 28 days a year) are usually permitted development – look at Part 4 Class B http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/596/made  but an Article 4 direction means that applications are required in the coastal area of your parish. If you want to include a policy encouraging the use of particular areas for temporary events (with criteria to control traffic, access etc) you can.

o       Conversion of 9/10 month year statics to 12 month year lodges – linked to design and use standards  see below

      Conversion of caravan/static parks near settlements to residential to let – to help match housing list numbers
Could have a policy and define area and criteria. Back this up with an analysis of demand and the tourism market. Look at the Chief Officer Planning Note on Lifting Holiday Conditions

o       Designation of location for a visitor centre
NDP could allocate a site and have a related policy setting design, access, parking etc. criteria.

  1. Community Land Trust

o       A strong ambition for some of us to deliver a development vehicle to serve local needs. Does this need inclusion in the NDP and how?
It could be part of your housing vision and strategy. It wouldn’t be a policy – but would form part of your explanation of how you wish to see the parish develop. It might encourage landowners to make land available (which is the hardest part!) see CCLT for further info. https://cornwallclt.org/

ANNEX 2

 

NDP’s to be considered for their model policies covering BETI topics

 

St Agneshttps://www.cornwall.gov.uk/media/34880675/st-agnes-parish-ndp-plan-submission-version-final-15th-aug-2018.pdf

Rochehttps://www.cornwall.gov.uk/media/27218390/roche-parish-ndp-final-adopted.pdf

Crantock:  https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/media/34656040/ndp-final-sept18.pdf

St Iveshttps://www.cornwall.gov.uk/media/33135351/revised-nnp-2018-june.pdf

Bude: 2 parts:https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/media/36440920/bude-stratton-ndp-final-adopted-section-1-5.pdf

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/media/36440916/bude-stratton-ndp-final-adopted-section-6-to-app-3.pdf

Illogan: the NDP has just last month passed the examination:

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/media/36457664/illogan-ndp-ipndp-final-dec-2018-with-post-examinaiton-modifications.pdf

Newquayhttps://www.cornwall.gov.uk/media/33135351/revised-nnp-2018-june.pdf

Chacewater: the NDP has been submittted to Cornwall Council and the formal consultation is underway.  (Roger comments:- The NDP is slightly unorthodox, I think it is fair to say):

http://www.chacewater.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Chacewater-Parish-NDP-Final-Draft.pdf

 

 

2018-05-23 BETI Meeting Minutes

Perranporth NDP, BETI – Meeting #6

Perranporth Neighbourhood Development Plan – BETI Focus Group

Notes: 23th May 2018 (Parish Rooms)

Attendees:

Kevin Havill – Chair (KH), Philip Moore – Vice Chair (PRM), Mike Callan – CC Consultant (MC), Andrew

Bown (AB), Simon Jefferies (SJ), Karen Colam – Parish Council Rep (KC), Nick Joy (NJ)

Apologies:, Roger Kayes, William Rogers – Parish Council Rep (WR), Jackie Byatt (JB), Richard Mocke

(RM) Tanya Mocke (TM)

Resumé of BETI group progress so far:

  • 1# meeting had been to decide what BETI included
  • 2# meeting had developed vision and tested concepts
  • 3# meeting had been an extraordinary participation in the A30 Carland Cross to Chiverton Cross public meeting
  • 4# meeting had been to decide how issues affecting BETI interests should be communicated
  • 5# meeting formation of a working group to assist Nick Joy create the NDP flyer

Notes of the previous meeting on 23th April 2018

  • Approved

Communication – NDP Flyer Production

  • External professional graphic designer Geoff Muir (GM) to be engaged (via NJ)
  • KC and PRM to support NJ with Flyer drafts
  • NJ to draft a text brief for GM
  • Webpage – What have NDP’s done for us?
  • Ask WR to communicate with Guy Thomas – asking for feedback on previous flyers by Geoff Muir.

South West Water Meeting (SWW) discussions

  • Statements or policies to improve conditions of waste water (these are what Developers would need to achieve with the Parish developments) e.g. separation of waste water sources in particular locales.
  • Issues that should specifically be addressed (in terms of water management and flood risk).
  • Supplementary information…..
    • Use of ‘memoranda of understanding’ encouraged by SWW.
    • Surfers against sewage pressing for extending the bathing water season.
    • SJ volunteered to work with WR to draft a briefing note on what we need to achieve regarding future water management and flood risk aversion.
    • SWW have Investment Periods PR19 (Price Review 19) – just about to start. We possibly have opportunity to influence PR23?
    • North Coast cluster group….
    • Network Communication Group – possibility for parishes on North Coast to work together (e.g. St Agnes; Crantock; Cubert; Perranzabuloe and Newquay).

Shoreline Management Plan (SMP) – current bar was set too low e.g. Ponsmere Development proceeded

  • Could Parish invest in strengthening the existing Shoreline Management Plan?
  • SMP is NOT statutory requirement in terms of planning.
  • Perranporth is a Coastal Change Management Area (CCMA) referenced in SMP.
  • NDP can include CCMA.

– Aside1: NDP should include:

– Public spaces

– Housing spaces

– Innovation / Development spaces

Aside2: SJ offered to do presentation to NDP SG + Parish Council

Aside 3: 66 residential properties currently at risk of flooding in Parish

Aside 4: Surf Club at risk (as is Wateringhole)

Business List

  • Valuation Office Commercial list sourced for TR6 by KH (also TR4 and TR8) approx. 350 businesses listed.
  • Needs Microsoft Access expertise.
  • Relevant post codes for Parish.
  • SJ to provide post codes and a mapping for the Parish.
  • Business Hub opportunities in the Parish discussed (e.g. possibly in the current Parish Rooms)

2019-01-16 BETI meeting agenda

16thJanuary; 19:00 Parish Council Offices, Chyanhale, Ponsmere Valley, Perranporth, TR6 0DB.

Agenda

  1. Welcome
  2. Introductions – a couple of minutes for each person – interests, background and current knowledge of NDP process and content.
  3. Approval of Minutes of the last BETI meeting 25th May 2018.
    The draft minutes of the last BETI meeting are here (as a PDF).
  4. Progress since last meeting
  5. Current task
    1. Identification of Issues
    2. Methods of obtaining evidence
  6. Organisation
    1. Sub-groups
    2. Meeting Frequency
  7. Other Issues
  8. Dates of next meetings

2019-01-10 – Housing & Open Space, Focus Group meeting, Agenda

This is the proposed agenda and pre meeting notes:

Proposed Agenda

This is a possible Agenda although how we proceed will be moulded to respond to the wishes of people who attend.

  1. Welcome

  2. Introductions

    For each person, a couple of minutes each – interests, background and current knowledge of NDP process and content

  3. Themes potentially to be covered under ‘Housing and open space’ (see below)

    Discussion of themes
    Suggestions for additions
    Spatial coverage – Goonhavern, Rose, Callestick, Chiverton Cross

  4. Moving toward questionnaire and work involved

    It would be helpful to get an idea of who is thinking of getting involved, as opposed to only making an input during meetings or being an observer. (Both are welcome at our meetings, of course.)

  5. Other issues

  6. Date of next meeting

The list of themes can be found here.


Strategic Housing Land Use Availability Assessment (SHLAA) sites

These are personal notes, written in November 2018, by Roger Kayes, head of the Perranzabuloe NDP Housing Group on the question.

Following the flurry of interest in the Perranporth map (screen shot of the CC Perranporth SHLAA map below) of  Strategic Housing Land Use Availability Assessment (SHLAA) sites referred to at the Perranporth meeting of the NDP group on the 21st of November 2018, it might be helpful to give any concerned residents further information to clarify what a SHLAA site is, and is not.  There are no SHLAA sites, to my knowledge, in other areas of Perranzabuloe that have not already gone on to receive planning permission.

Cornwall Council’s information on this is very helpful:

“The National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) requires all Local Authorities to carry out Strategic Housing Land Use Availability Assessment as part of the evidence base for the Local Plan.

Cornwall Council has prepared and regularly updates SHLAA to support the Cornwall Local Plan. The SHLAA is a technical document that identifies sites across Cornwall which shows initial potential for providing 10 or more new homes. The SHLAA automatically excludes sites which are:

  1. Not connected to a settlement within the Settlement Hierarchy.
  2. Within a designated Special Area of Conservation, Special Protection Area and/or Site of Special Scientific Interest.
  3. Within Flood Zone 3b.

Sites are largely included in the SHLAA on the basis of a broad-brush desktop assessment which means that their inclusion in the SHLAA does not imply that they would necessarily be granted planning permission or are suitable for allocation for residential use. Nevertheless, with the vast majority of the sites having been put forward by the landowners, it is a good guide to what sites are available. The SHLAA also provides an indication of how many homes could be delivered and when, based on input from the landowners, density calculations and typical build-out rates.”

From:  Cornwall Council Neighbourhood Planning Guidance Note: Housing Land Availability Assessment

Key points are stated very clearly in another document available online (cornwall-shlaa-report-january-2016 – the most recent version as far as I know):

“Box 1: Status of the Cornwall SHLAA Report and Identified Sites

The Cornwall SHLAA is not a planning decision making document. It makes broad assumptions in terms of site suitability in order to bring forward a wide range of sites for consideration of housing potential. Sites that are identified in the Cornwall SHLAA would be required to be further tested by the planning application or allocation processes including consideration of sustainability and planning criteria, development plan policies and consultation before they could be deemed suitable in planning terms.

In summary:

  • The SHLAA is not development plan policy;
  • The SHLAA does not indicate that sites will be granted planning permission;
  • The SHLAA does not preclude sites from being developed for other suitable uses; and
  • The SHLAA is an important evidence base technical document but is not a planning decision making document.

The SHLAA does not preclude other sites which have not been submitted or assessed during this process from coming forward for housing.

The web page on Cornwall Council’s site gives further information and links, including where to find the original version of the map presented here: https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/environment-and-planning/planning/planning-policy/adopted-plans/evidence-base/strategic-housing-land-availability-assessment/

Note dated November 23rd 2018

Does the Crantock decision in June 21018 mean that NDPs are useless?

These are personal notes, written in November 2018, by Roger Keyes, head of the Perranzabuloe NDP Housing Group on the question.

I don’t accept the simplistic conclusion that simply because Cornwall Council approved the housing application in Crantock in June 2018, then this means that NDPs are valueless.  From my perspective, the case supports the view that NDPs can have some value, even while they don’t fulfil the high expectations of what they could achieve, expectations promote by some proponents of NDPs.

The Crantock application was decided by the Central Planning Committee meeting held in St Austell on June 11th, a meeting that I attended.  For a relatively small development of 22 houses, the application was for an extension of a larger site already with permission, through which access would be gained.  This additional site extends in toward the village rather than out into open countryside and lies outside of the ‘Settlement Boundary’ as defined in the NDP.  As I heard it, a key justification given by planning officers for recommending approval of the application was their view that one of three existing planning permissions for new housing in Crantock, known I believe as Parsons Green, had stalled and its implementation was now unlikely or at least uncertain.  This would, they argued, create a short-fall in the supply of houses needed to cater for those on the HomeChoice Register for Crantock.  So they recommended approval.  After heated debate, the committee voted to approve it by 8 votes to 7.

(By the way, it wouldn’t surprise me if Crantock Parish think that they may have a case for judicial review since, at that time, the planning application for Parsons Green was still valid (it wouldn’t go on to expire until October 2018) and the fact that they believed it to be stalled was not ‘material.’  If this were to be the grounds for going to judicial review, it would underline the significance of this issue.)

So, what influence did the NDP have?

It was clear from the discussion that significant weight was being given to the contents of the NDP.  In the background was the fact that the Committee had deferred the application from February until after the referendum in May 2018.  Materially, the ‘Rural exception site’ outside of the ‘Settlement Boundary’ provisions of the NDP resulted in the developers having to increase the Affordable Housing provision from 30% of the houses on the site originally proposed, to 50% in the version approved eventually.

Are there any lessons for Perranzabuloe? 

In this case, Crantock had already fulfilled the allocation of houses in the Cornwall Local Plan (just as Perranzabuloe has), yet still the planning policy context dictated that if there is outstanding local need for Affordable Housing (AH), then applications for market-led developments will be given approval so that additional AH will be forthcoming.  In Crantock, the issue was has or hasn’t the ‘local need’ been accommodated.  In Perranzabuloe, the numbers on the HomeChoice Register are so much greater than the numbers of AH houses coming forward that such applications are likely to be approved, unless other considerations dictate otherwise.  This is the stance outlined the introduction to our Perranzabuloe NDP Housing group.

November 16th 2018

NDP Awareness Leaflet

 

In early November of 2018, we are sending out a leaflet to let as many people as possible, who work or live in the parish, about the Neighbourhood Development Plan (NDP).

The leaflet is also being put in cafe’s, shops, pubs etc.

You can PDF version of the leaflet here.

The meeting encourages anybody who wants to know more to attend some public meetings:

  • Goonhavern Village Hall
    – Tuesday 20th November, 2018: 7:30pm
  • Perranporth Memorial Hall
    – Wednesday 21st November, 2018: 7:30pm
  • Chiverton Arms Blackwater
    – Tuesday 27th November, 2018: 7:30pm

What next?
Sign up to stay informed and (possibly let us know if you’d like to get involved).

2018-10-16 Steering Group Meeting

Perranzabuloe Neighbourhood Development  Plan

Steering Group Meeting – Minutes

Wednesday 16th October 2018

1. Attendance and Apologies

Apologies were received from Janine Branch, Phil Moore & Andrew Bown. Eight people, including 7 from the Steering Group attended. (Listed in Appendix 1).

2. Approval of Minutes of Meeting dated dated 22nd April 2018

Proposed by Rory Jenkins (RJ), seconded by Roger Kayes and approved unanimously.

3. Matters arising

It was proposed by KC, seconded by RK that RJ set up the new NDP hotline for contacting the NDP by the general public. Its number will be 01872 463572.

Linda Boylen has requested to become actively involved with the SG. This was welcomed by the SG. Similarly, she is to become a member of the Housing Focus Group.

4. Communications update

Details of timings for the Flyer and of public meetings were confirmed. These are as follows: _

  • Design Completed mid October
  • Printing and Distribution Completed 10th November
  • Public Meetings: _
    • Goonhavern Tuesday 20th November
    • Perranporth Wednesday 21st November
    • Blackwater (Chiverton Arms) Tuesday 27th November

The remainder of the meeting was an analysis of the draft flyer as produced by Jeff Muir (Design Consultant responsible for producing the flyer and poster).

5. Reports from Focus Groups

None – see item 4.

6 Project planning

No discussion.

7 Financial matters

None arising.

8 Any other business

It was suggested that the NDP is represented at the Christmas Market. WR has booked a space with the organisers

9. Items for next meeting

The Flyer and public meetings.

9 Date of next meeting and closure

The next meeting will be decided in line with the publication of the Flyer as well as the scheduled public meetings.

The meeting finished at 9.45pm.

Appendix 1 – List of Attendees

Michael Callan (PPC Representative)

Steering Group
Chris Ashby-Zwozdiak
Kevin Havil
Rory Jenkins
Roger Kayes
Linda Boylen
Karen Colam
William Rogers

2018-09-19 Meeting Minutes

Perranzabuloe Neighbourhood Development  Plan

Steering Group Meeting – Minutes

Wednesday 19th September 2018

1. Attendance and Apologies

Apologies received from Phil Moore & Karen Colam,.  Ten people attended including seven members of the Steering Group (listed in Appendix 1).

RJ explained the rationale of the proposed NDP for the new attendees

2. Approval of Minutes of Meeting dated 22nd April 2018

Proposed by Rory Jenkins (RJ), seconded by Kevin Havill and approved unanimously.

3. Matters arising

RJ is to set up the new NDP hotline for contacting the NDP by the general public.

Linda Boylam has requested to become actively involved with the SG.  This was welcomed by the SG.

4. Communications update

Nick Joy has resigned his post as Communications Chairman.  Will Rogers is at present continuing the work started by him.  A ‘changeover’ meeting was held between Nick and Will on Monday 17th September.

The first flyer is expected to have its design significantly completed by Mid October, such that it can be approved by the Steering Group meeting on Tuesday 16th October.

It has been agreed to secure the services of Jeff Muir as professional designer to assist in the design, and production of the flyer.

The flyer will be distributed by early November

Public meetings will be held in Perranporth, Goonhavern, and the Blackwater area during the later part of November.

A budget of £4,000 for the flyer was approved by the SG, ie significantly more than the costing originally estimated earlier.  Costing breakdowns together with a provisional  task list,  are included in Appendix 2.

5. Reports from Focus Groups

BETI (Business, Employment Transport & Infrastructure)

The last BETI meeting was held on Wednesday 23rd May.  Kevin Havill’s report  forms  Appendix 3 of these minutes.

Environment & Heritage

No meeting has been held since 22nd May-  hence no report has been made.

Housing

RK reported that in early June he had attended a meeting with Sarah Furley and Imogen Day of Cornwall Council’s NDP team at one of their quarterly surgeries.  Among the various issues discussed, he raised the issue of whether we can get advice from Development Control Officers in our area about the potential value of policies that we would like to develop.  From Cornwall Council’s perspective it will be fine if we approach Glen Lowe who deals with a large number of applications in this area.

RK also briefly reviewed his perspective of the ongoing controversy in Crantock, following the approval given in early June to a specific housing development.   The PC interprets this decision as contrary to the NDP that had passed at referendum in May and it is currently crowd-funding a judicial review of this decision.  While we don’t know the grounds for the review, one of the issues is whether the need for Affordable Housing has already been addressed by existing planning permissions within the parish (which would mean that there is little reason for approving the application).  Dimensions of this are: one of the sites approved looks unlikely to come forward, leaving a shortfall: the NDP aims to cover the period to 2030, and more people are likely to come forward onto the Home Choice Register (housing list) during the next few years.  RK expressed his intention to pursue the issue of phasing of development over the plan period.

There followed discussion of the implications for this line of thinking for our parish: the requirement that new housing developments are permitted to provide further Affordable Homes for those on the Home Choice Register, with a preference for this parish.

CA-Z queried whether or not the use of SUDS for storm water drainage should be included within the NDP.

6. Project planning

This was dealt with in ‘Matters arising’.

7. Financial matters

None arising.

8. Any other business

It was suggested that the NDP is represented at the Christmas Market.

9. Items for next meeting

The Flyer

10. Date of next meeting and closure

The next meeting will be on Tuesday the 16th October in the Parish Council offices in Perranporth.

The meeting finished at 8.45pm.

 

2018-05-22 Steering Group Meeting Minutes

Perranzabuloe Neighbourhood Development  Plan

Steering Group Meeting – Minutes

Tuesday 22nd May 2018

1          Attendance and Apologies

No Apologies received.  Fifteen people attended including twelve members of the Steering Group (listed in Appendix 1).

2          Approval of Minutes of Meeting dated 22nd April 2018

Proposed by Rory Jenkins (RJ), seconded by Will Rogers (WR), and approved unanimously.

3          Matters arising

William Rogers (WR) reported on progress on the preparation of the project plan.  Certain members have had sight of the full spreadsheet, that was considered to be too detailed.  WR will produce a summary spreadsheet (some 8-10 rows long) and present it at the next SG meeting.

WR also reported that he has requested to withdraw the application for funding from the Co-op, since it was not possible at this stage to demonstrate a watertight financial arrangement (given that no financial officer is available in the Parish Council (PCC). The Coop accepted our withdrawal, and invited us to reapply at a later stage when the next tranche for grants became available. Action-WR

The application for Community Grant funding submission has not yet been prepared, since no firm costs have been determined. There is in the order of £9000 available subject to detailed estimates.  At present the Parish Council has earmarked up to £15,000 for the NP. It was asked whether the Community Grant can be applied for retrospectively. WR will investigate.

It has been suggested by the present PPC that we could have our own bank account and cheque book, actually accounting to them. However this will be up to the new Council (elections due end May) to agree to this procedure.  Karen Colam will request that an item be inserted onto the next PPC meeting to discuss this. Action-KC

Roger Kayes (RK) has prepared the copy for the housing section for the forthcoming flier, and submitted these to NJ.

Michael Callan & Karen Collam have agreed to be co-opted onto the SG.

KC is to contact Cornwall Chamber of Commerce regarding the provision of a list of names and addresses of businesses in the parish. Action-KC

Discussion continued regarding the planning permission for the Oyster Bay development.  RK will investigate the grounds upon which 365 days per year of residence can be granted for holiday homes. Action RK

Following the question at the previous meeting regarding the advertising of holiday homes with 365 days per year residence, that  seemed to make them dwellings, RK asked whether Michael Callan could clarify the situation.  MC pointed out that these adverts concerned the recent application by the Oyster Bay company for a new site to the north of Goonhavern, heading out toward the A30 where there is a wind turbine and that this site will allow for 365 days per year occupancy.  This will not be classified as housing and there will be no affordable housing provision. Simon Jefferies suggested this was because mobile home-type developments involve only change of use of land, not development as in the construction of buildings.  The BETI focus group claim them as businesses but haven’t done any work on this as yet.

A meeting was held with South West Water, primarily with the PPC.  However the NDP was represented.

Rory summarised his perspective that SWW can cope with foul drainage from new developments, but they cannot cope with the ingress of storm water run off as well as the foul water. If quantities of storm water could be diverted away from the sewerage, it could free up capacity for new developments. Points of interest to the NDP were the Llanelli  Memorandum of Understandingwhere a new developer was obliged to provide sufficient space in the sewerage by restricting a determinable amount of storm flow from the system to free up space for the new foul drainage. It is possible that a similar provision could be included in the Perranzabuloe Neighbourhood Plan.

SWW will look at the ingress of storm water into the pumping systems as well as ways of alleviating this. Storm water control is managed by the water authorities, local authorities,  Environment Agency and DEFRA.

Flooding at Hendrena and Bolenna will be examined by SWW.  SWW will also examine the mechanisms used to advise the community upon river spillages in the winter months. Road drainage can be alleviated by regrading around manhole covers and road cross-falls to avoid  flooding.

WR will contact SWW in some 6 months time.  Action-WR

Major expense from Water Authorities needs to be included in the Management Plans and the 5 year funding requests (presently PR19).  We would need to get the work included in the PR24 (2024) funding request. Action RJ/KH

KH reported that a national list of business addresses in ‘Access’ format is available from The Cornwall Property Valuation Office. RJ can arrange for these to be transposed into Excel or equivalent format.  Names of businesses however will not be available. Action-RJ/KH

4          Communications update

Details of options of designing, printing and distributing the flyer were presented by NJ and discussed (included in Appendix 2 to these minutes).

It was agreed that the distribution of Flyers should be delayed until September/October when the holiday period has passed. Action-NJ

It was agreed to employ Jeff Muir to design and supervise the printing of the flyers.  This is based upon previous experience with other NDPs in Cornwall.  An estimated sum of £4,000 to allow for contingencies etc, should be allocated for the total cost of the first ‘mail shot” contingencies, poster campaign and public meetings. Action-NJ

 

5          Reports from Focus Groups

            BETI (Business, Employment Transport & Infrastructure)

The next BETI meeting has been scheduled for Wednesday 23rd May- i.e. one day after this meeting.  Hence there is no BETI information to be included in these minutes.

The BETI group will be headed by Philip Moore in KH’s temporary absence overseas.

            Environment & Heritage

Chris Ashby-Zwozdiak chaired a meeting on 2nd May. Minutes are included in Appendix 3.

            Housing

Roger Kayes raised the issue of Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) funds and that in the future, substantial funds could become available to the parish from this source, when the regulations are introduced in Cornwall (probably at the end of 2018). A parish that has a NDP would receive 25% of the levy of qualifying developments, mainly housing in Perranzabuloe, and this could be in the region of £10,000 per dwelling.  A parish with no NDP would receive 10% less.  RK has foreseen a role for the NDP process in surveying the parishioners as to their priorities for spending this money, but Michael Callan rejected this idea – it will be the PCC that decides how this money is spent.

RK summarised the housing completion data for the parish (albeit provisional) prior to the publication, probably in August provided by CC, showing the large number of housing completions in the last two years. This data is reproduced here in Appendix 4.

RK and Will Rogers reported on their perceptions during their visit to the St Agnes exhibition of the pre-submission version of their NDP,  as well as the enthusiasm and inspiring ideas they came away with.  It was recommended that members read the report, available at http://stagnesndp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/St-Agnes-NDP-v4-Pre-submission-version-23-4-18.pdf.   (This link will be posted on the Perranplan website).

6          Project planning

This was dealt with in ‘Matters arising’.

7           Financial matters

None arising.

8          NDP Hotline

A hot line for contact will be set up. RJ is to investigate the use of a bespoke mobile that can be managed by anybody in the steering group.  An ‘0345’ number will be assigned to this. Action-RJ

9          GDPR

RJ  assured the Meeting that under the terms of our Privacy Policy on the NDP website, it is in order to hold information solely for the progressing of the NDP.  People not wishing their information to be held should advise accordingly.

8          Any other business

Christine ZA is due to send out the Wildlife map to the SG.  She intends to undertake the Landscape Character Assessment in the autumn.

RK reported that he had taken some photos specifically for the website and passed these on to RJ, and encouraged others to do so.  In the context of St Agnes’s use of aerial photographs in their publicity material, he wondered if we should approach the person who took their shots of the five main villages in the parish, to get us similar resources.  RJ advised care in paying for that, given legal complexities. Others referred to the drone photos used in the Perranporth Community Facebook page, and that perhaps we should use those.

10          Items for next meeting

Discussion of the Flyer

11          Date of next meeting and closure

The next meeting will be on Wednesday the 13th June in the Parish Council offices in Perranporth.

The meeting finished at 9.45pm.

 

Appendix 1 – List of Attendees

Steering Group:
Chris Ashby-Zwozdiak Karen Colam Susan Dutson
Kevin Havill Rory Jenkins Nick Joy
Roger Kayes

Janine Branch

Phil Moore

Michael Callan

William Rogers

Andrew Bown

Others:
Simon Jeffrey Angela Maynard Maxine Young

Appendix 2 Communications update 22nd May 2018

  • Initial Flyer:
    • Meeting of FG leaders and Environmental members
    • Decisions:
      • A3 not A4 (Cost rise from £200 to £400),
      • Decided the FG information on the flyer would not get the Public’s attention. Another approach has been discussed and needs to be drafted, then offered to a Graphic Designer.
      • Space needs to be given for address and Freepost return.
      • Printer ‘can’ print addresses directly to the flyer from spreadsheet
      • Freepost is worth the cost
      • Delivery method ‘Should’ be the Post Office
      • Flyer goes out as part of a promotion campaign (posters, meetings around the parish, etc)
      • Timing is very important – Get it right!
      • Pay a Graphic Designer if it means getting it right
  • Next Communications actions:
    • Develop the flyer and get to Graphic designer.
    • Provide WR with list of items to purchase for consultations
  • Website
    • Statement: The website is looking great. Well Done Rory & Team.
    • Put SW Water meeting notes to website. Under all FG tags
  • NDP Hotline
    • a form of communication for people without internet
    • Proposed using a spare mobile phone with a PAYG SIM card for the NDP
    • It could be used just as an answering message service. Will Rogers has offered his mobile number instead of an NDP number.
    • KC and RJ said they would look into the cost of 0345 numbers and VOIT(?). These numbers can then be diverted to SG members phones or voice mail messages.
  • Costs of Flyer, including Postage – see spreadsheet appendix
    • NJpresented estimations from two printers/Graphic Designers from my working spreadsheet.
    • We need 3000 flyers for residential and 2000 for business and handouts
    • Post office costs are stamps for delivery to non-Perranporth wards and Post Office flyer drop to Perranporth (all TR6 0) homes.
    • This was the most cost effective postage solution that also satisfies the NDP guidelines for later scrutiny.
    • A Freepost address should be set up for any postal returns.
    • The Graphic Designer (Jeff Muir) estimated his costs at £500. The SG felt that this was too low and should be doubled to ensure costs are covered.
    • Prevision should also be made for Posters design and publication.
    • A budget of £4000 was proposed to be put to the PC.
    • NJ to liaisewith Jeff Muir and obtain quotations from printers
    • Community Magazine Printers in Cornwall are a Parish Council magazine printers with a good eco-friendly ethos.
    • Preferred option is Jeff Muir to design and Community Printing to print

 

Flyer Print Costs
Company No. to print Total Cost Print A4 Print A3 Arrangement +Design +Postage Freepost
Boscawen (Quote) 2750 £356.80 £256.80 £100.00 £250.00 £1,432.20 £0.38
Boscawen (Quote) 2750 £386.80 £286.80 £100.00 £500.00 £1,432.20 £0.38
Boscawen (Estimate) 5000 £1,121.45 £521.45 £100.00 £500.00 £1,432.20 £0.38
Parish Magazine Printing 3000 £235.00 £195.00 £40.00 N/A N/A N/A
Parish Magazine Printing 6000 £430.00 £390.00 £40.00 N/A N/A N/A
Parish Magazine Printing 3000 £430.00 £390.00 £40.00 N/A N/A N/A
Parish Magazine Printing 5000 £690.00 £650.00 £40.00 N/A N/A N/A
 

 

 

 

 

 

Freepost return @ 38p 2nd Class
Postage Costs   1st @ 67p 2nd @ 58p Maildrop   5% 10% 15%
Perranporth 1886 £1,263.62 £1,093.88 £500.00 £35.83 £71.67 £107.50
Goonhaven 483 £323.61 £280.14 for up to £9.18 £18.35 £27.53
Penhallow 253 £169.51 £146.74 7000 £4.81 £9.61 £14.42
Rose 237 £158.79 £137.46 Houses £4.50 £9.01 £13.51
2859 1915.53 1658.22 £54.32 £108.64 £162.96
Freepost set up cost £116.00
Preferred Option 3000 £2,157.30 £390.00 £40.00 £500.00 £1,064.34 £162.96
Extra for hand-outs 2000 £260.00 £260.00
£2,417.30

 

Appendix 3 Environment & Heritage update 22nd May 2018

 

 

Environment & Heritage Meeting Notes – Wednesday 2ndMay 2018 7.30pm at the Tywarnhayle Inn 

  • Present:
  • Steve Adams
  • Chris Ashby-Zwozdiak
  • Sue Dutson
  • KevinHavill
  • Nick Joy
  • Roger Kayes
  • Angela Maynard

 

  • Chris apologised for having no fixed agenda as such, due to treading water until launch of fliers.

 

  • We had a discussion regarding the omission of specific protection for county wildlife sites from the NPPF revisions and the need to respond to the consultation, however, despite this, it was agreed that these areas remain reasonably well protected and it will take several years before any revision is embedded.

 

  • We discussed the need to utilise the CWT map, and eventually theLLCA to inform spatial planning for conservation such as linking wildlife corridors.

 

  • Discussion ensued regarding the possibility that under the NP certain areas of land could be designated with caveats for development (i.e. having stipulations that key vulnerable sites could only be developed in certain ways).

 

  • Discussed the Community orchard scheme in Newquay which is an amazing resource for the community, where the land was gifted to the people of Newquay by the Duchy. Perhaps a similar wealthy land owner could be persuaded to do something similar for Perranzabuloe? Mentioned that we have no allotments within the Parish and that community schemes such as these could form part of our wish list or could be cited as suitable development for certain areas of vulnerable land within the parish.

 

  • We all had a good look at the CWT maps and more detailed analysis is available should we require it.

 

  • Chris asked about obtaining the designation status for the grading of agricultural land.Roger said he would help with this.

 

  • Brief discussion on the formation of settlement boundaries and the criteria we would use to do so, but was agreed that it was too early in the process without having completed the LLCA to formulate any policies on this.

 

  • Discussions then turned to Communications (see Nick’s notes)

 

  • Meeting concluded at around 9.30

 

 

 

Appendix 4    Monitoring data for housing to end March 2018

Note the data for 2017-2018 are provisional at this stage (that is, they may alter by <10).

Total Housing Completions

 

Housing Commitments at end of March 2018

 

Note this includes the 134 on Penhale Camp.

Close Menu
Top