2018-05-10 Parish Council & SWW Meeting Notes

Parish Council & South West Water

Meeting Notes

10th May 2018

The Parties:

South West Water (SWW) Represented by:

Perry Hobbs – Head of Strategic Investment Planning Richard Behan – Flood Risk Manager
Ian McFerlane – Customer Services and Network Manager

Perranzabuloe Parish Council

(PC) Councillor Steve Arthur Councillor Karen Colam

Councillor William Rogers

Perranzabuloe Neighbourhood Plan (NDP)

Rory Jenkins

Kevin Havill

Background:
The meeting had been arranged by William Rogers as a chance for both the PC and NDP understand more about the issues facing SWW to deliver its responsibilities for waste water collection and treatment. Whether the current infrastructure is sufficient, what improvements are necessary and whether there is capacity to collect and treat more particularly if there is to be more residential development in the parish.

All parties were aware of problems including flooding of Thywanhale Square and overloading of the pumping station on Station Road.

The PC and NDP explained that clean sea and stream water all year round is vital for safety and amenity of visitors and all year round residents alike. The local economy is largely built on tourism with the beach and water sport as the central theme. Many residents have chosen the area because of the landscape and lifestyle. Awareness to environmental issues is growing illustrated by the popular designation of the Perranporth as a plastic free zone.

Responsibilities:
SWW explained that responsibilities for the flooding management collection of foul and surface water are split between:
Environment Agency – Sea and rivers
Cornwall Council (highways) – Highways
SWW – Sewers, surface water from hardstanding within the curtilage of properties
Defra – A government regularity authority with responsibilities to monitor water and sea water quality including The Bathing Water Directive

System:
Perranporth – Surface Water and sewerage drains to the pumping station on Station Road from where it is pumped to Droskyn, then to a treatment works at Cligga and with a discharge of treated water into the sea.
Goonhavern – Has its own treatment works and the treated water discharge goes into streams.

The historic network was built in the anticipation that rain water would dilute effluent before it being run into the sea. The Clean Sweep policy introduced 18 years ago has been built on the basis that raw waste should not enter the rivers or sea but be treated first.

Problems arise primarily because water enters the SWW system from surface run off such as highways (which could be discharged into streams and rivers – for example Station Road) and from historic mine shafts and addits (for example Thywanhale Square). These extraordinary loads stretch the pumping station in Perranporth beyond its capacity and can cause outflows of untreated effluent. SWW has permits for a limited number of Combined Sewage Outflows (CSOs) at designated points and has obligations to both report incidents to the Environment Agency and monitor water quality on a continuous basis.

For new development it is now theoretically required that surface water does not flow offsite into the sewerage system thereby reducing the volumes pumped to treatment works. The historic network remains though and Cornwall Council did not take the opportunity to rectify local problems on Station Road from highway run off when the Environment Agency undertook flood management works a few years ago. In terms of new developments, these often manage to present a case that allows them to not deal with surface water onsite, but discharge it into the existing system.

Specific problems around Bolenna Park and Hendrawna Lane were discussed and SWW will investigate further.

The tankering of waste from Station Road to Droskyn over the recent winter had been as a response to the broken main between the two locations on St Georges Hill. This main has now been repaired.

Planning Process
SWW explained that are not a statutory consultee in the planning process. They are consulted but their views can be overruled. The grant of planning permission gives property owns the right to connect and SWW are obliged to provide service irrespective of whether their infrastructure is adequate.

All the respective agencies hold duty of care responsibilities and issues arising from the historic networks along the North Coast are well known. A long term Drainage and Waste Water Plan is being compiled and to cover a future 25 year period, however, this plan won’t be ready until 2022.

The PC and NDP expressed the view that a large, probably majority, proportion of residents would like to prevent further development because of inadequacies in the current infrastructure. SWW responded that in their experience using capacity problems to halt development rarely works in the long term. However they were keen to promote that the NDP include policies to tackle all drainage issues with future development targets to be linked to completed improvements.

In short the Perranporth pumping and treatment works could support future development IF there was proper separation of surface run off from household waste as could Goonhavern to a lessor extent but which benefits from an easier topography.

An example of a multi authority agreement known as Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for Llanelli was discussed. Under this agreement developers are required to make provision for the removal of storm water from the system before new foul water is introduced. This model could be on a 1:1 or possibly a 2:1 ratio basis.

Funding for improvements works could come from the following sources:
Central Government – Flooding and Coastal Defence Projects Community Infrastructure Levy – Cornwall Council

Highways – Cornwall Council

Next Steps
SWW water to provide more information of the Llanelli MOU and to investigate further problems at Bolenna and Hendrawna
SWW to revert on why the spill alert system only works during the bathing season and not year round.
PC to discuss
NDP to develop draft policies for community feedback

2018-02-05 notes from meeting with CC Guy Thomas

Meeting with Guy Thomas, the Communities Area Manager at Cornwall Council
Monday 5th February 2018
Rory Jenkins & William Rogers from the Perranzabuloe NDP

Given the progress that Cornwall Council has accepted that Perranzabuloe has ‘Designated Area Status’ for a NDP, that we have a Steering Group and Focus Groups, it seemed appropriate to have an update with Guy Thomas. He will be one of our primary contacts in Cornwall Council for the duration of the project.

Rory (NDP Chairperson) and William (NDP Secretary) met Guy at the Cornwall Council offices in Truro.
From having been involved with many NDP’s around Cornwall Guy had the following advice:

  1. Spread the load. If the project is taken on by too small a group, this has elsewhere lead to it stalling or collapsing.
  2. St Agnes have stood out for their level of on-going information to their community. Their almost monthly updates to the community is yielding dividends with them typically getting around 20% respondent rates to their consultations. This is apparently high.
  3. Don’t attempt community consultation in the holidays. Spring and Autumn work well.
  4. Always keep evidence of all engagement and responses. Both the quantity and the quality. Without the final NDP being backed by evidence of being the wishes of the community it won’t get through
  5. If we feel we might need external experts, ask Guy and his team first. They might have the skills we need, for free or cheaper than elsewhere. Or they might know where best to get the best skills at the best price.
  6. Immogen and her team is their expert on policy. So not only can she help with what we can and can’t influence, she will also be there to help write up the NDP so that it fits with existing planning policy.

Progressing this, Guy suggested the following 2018 time scale.

Feb / March

Engage with the community to say that work has started on a NDP. Explain what this is. Say we want everybody’s views, input, help etc.  Give contact details. (Website, Facebook, email list, notice boards). Say that from the initial group and meetings, which we hope will grow as more learn about it, the initial TOP 5 issues are ……   Ask what they think about these. Ask if what issues, if any, they would put instead of any of these issues. Have it so that responses are dropped back to drop off points at local shops, pubs etc.

Late April / May

Have the first community engagement meetings. Having these where the community naturally meet apparently works well. eg a local pub.
This would involve the first questionaire to establish top concerns.

June

Get together events.

July & August

Consolidate and analyse the responses.

September

Use the analysed responses to start a second round of questions and engagement.

In relation to the overall plan and next stages, Guy in particular mentioned the  Consultation and Engagement Toolkit and the Project Plan links which are to a PDF and an Excel template:
Project Planning – PDF
Project Plan Template – Excel (which William has already started looking at)

2017-10-12 Meeting Notes – Launching our Neighbourhood Development Plan

2017 10 12 at 19:00 at the Parish Council offices in Perranporth.

We’ve had our first meeting to get things going.

Great turn out, clever questions and lots of enthusiasm.

A great presentation from Guy Thomas at Cornwall Council on what we need to do and how he and his team can help us. Guy is going to send us a PDF copy of his presentation, that I’ll link to from here.

Thankyou to Parish Councillor William Rogers for sorting the meeting out and the Parish Council for the use of their meeting room and the time of the other Parish Councillors who attended.

Notes of questions raised at the Meeting 

Q:- What is the difference between the Steering group Member and an Implementation Group Member?
A::- The Steering Group manage the Process, whilst the Implementation Groups examine and report upon one or more of the technical issues that are to be addressed within the Neighbourhood Plan

Q::- What are the expenses involved with the NP?
A:- Where the knowledge on issues pertinent to the Steering or Implementation groups is not available within the Steering or Implementation groups, professional assistance will need to be hired.
It will be necessary to spend upon communication (e.g. printing and distribution of newsletters, running surveys etc.).

Q:- Do meetings need to be held in Parish Council Offices?
A:- No they can be held in any meeting places that are easy to get to by parishioners.

Q:- What is Cornwall’s obligation to build houses?
A:- Cornwall CC is tasked to construct a minimum of 57,000 homes between 2020-2030. Perranzabuloe parish is expected to construct 1,100, of which 560 are already completed. There is no legal pressure to build beyond the prescribed number. However, there is no legal power to stop building works after the quota has been reached.

Q:- Have any population demographic analysis been undertaken?
A:- Yes in the previously published Local Plan. This covered for example Income grades, migration from the parish, skills growth and single parents. Similarly infrastructure (roads, water, sewerage, electricity) was addressed, as well as the adequacy of schools and health services.
This work will form a starting platform from which the NP can build and can be upgraded and progressed.

Q:- Does a Neighbourhood Plan have ‘teeth’?
A:- The NP have to be by its nature an enabling and permissive legal document that can influence the development within the area. Two immediate examples of its effect are the guidance for design to be in character and keeping with the surrounding area (Roseland Peninsula), and the policy regarding second homes in St Ives.

Q:- Is it possible to build when the infrastructure is not in place?
A:- That is the case at present! However Parish councils lean upon the statutory authorities to provide the necessary infrastructure. Also services such as Doctor surgeries will be aware of the need for adequate services, and hopefully plan for the increased load.

Q:- How does data protection affect the Steering Group’s handling of information?
A:- This will be investigated. However the accreditation of the NP through the auspices of the Parish Council will provide clarity on this issue.

Q:- Will environmental issues be included in the NP?
A:- Yes.

Q:- How will the balance of the Steering group be agreed?
A:- That is a duty of the Community to decide.

Q:- Can a Steering Group development its own scheme?
A:- This is up to the Community to decide.

Q:- How long did St Ives take to prepare their NP?
A:- 2 Years.

Close Menu
Top